Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Second question of mine. Today I was driving out on the beautiful french river near James Bay (Ontario) to work actually... and for some reason my brakes just went. They were working perfectly all month long. Today was a really cold day out on the lake (-30 degrees celcius!). When I got onto land, I pressed to brake lever and it went all the way down without any response. It didn't bounce back either and I was freaking out because I was now in traffic.

After parking for a bit, I went out to get it checked out but no service here until after christmas. After "pumping" the lever a bit, some responsivity came back, but still very sticky.

This sounds like a brake fluid problem?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hi there. Second question of mine. Today I was driving out on the beautiful french river near James Bay (Ontario) to work actually... and for some reason my brakes just went. They were working perfectly all month long. Today was a really cold day out on the lake (-30 degrees celcius!). When I got onto land, I pressed to brake lever and it went all the way down without any response. It didn't bounce back either and I was freaking out because I was now in traffic.

After parking for a bit, I went out to get it checked out but no service here until after christmas. After "pumping" the lever a bit, some responsivity came back, but still very sticky.

This sounds like a brake fluid problem?[/b]
There is a sight glass on the side of the reservoir to check the brake fluid level see if it's level with the dot on the glass. Check your brake pads and the area around the caliper for the friction material. Sometimes when the brake pads are worn thin or rust gets between the metal backing and friction material the pad separates and you loose the brakes till you pump them back up. In some cases, the fluid level will be down and the brakes are riding metal on metal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts