Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an ATV guy and am just beginning my first experiences with sleds. I have two Arctic Cat Cheetah's from around the mid 70's. They are Cheetah 4000 and Cheetah 5000. I resurrected them from a time capsule basically and was able to get them both running again. I don't want to spend a lot of money on sleds that are this old, but I was wondering what small (cheap) things i might do to improve the ride. For example I noticed they are VERY VERY tipsy and there seems to be no suspension travel at all. There are three shocks (One on the track, and one for each ski). Would it be worthwhile to spend the money and replace all the shocks or will I not really notice any difference?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If the shocks are original, then it would be a good idea to replace them. Newer shocks might help, but with the sleds being from the mid 70's. The suspensions were rough going, no matter what brand of sled it was. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the shocks are original, then it would be a good idea to replace them. Newer shocks might help, but with the sleds being from the mid 70's. The suspensions were rough going, no matter what brand of sled it was. Good luck with it.[/b]

I realize that replacing a few shocks won't make it ride like the new sleds. But what I'm interested in is if the blown out suspension is contributing to the tippiness. I'm almost positive they are original shocks so if replacing them is going to make it slightly ess tipsy it seems worth my while.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I realize that replacing a few shocks won't make it ride like the new sleds. But what I'm interested in is if the blown out suspension is contributing to the tippiness. I'm almost positive they are original shocks so if replacing them is going to make it slightly ess tipsy it seems worth my while.[/b]
The shocks shouldn't have anything to do with the tippiness. Check the alignment of the skis. If they are out of wack. That might be the problem for the tipiness. Just a thought.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The old Cats are not that wide so they're a bit tippy also the leafs on the skis were not the best and are probably pretty soft now you can take then to any spring shop and have them recurved a bit and maybe add an extra leaf to stiffen it up a bit. my old jags are the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts