Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..

I am going to be new to the sport this year.. Was looking at used sleds but been finding myself lurking in the showrooms lately. Anyway, I have to get something that will accommodate the woman. She likes the touring. I of course like performance.
My 2 biggest requirements are 2 seat option and versatility in the northeast USA. Also, she will most likely have her own sled within a few years.

So far I have been looking at the 600 REV with the +1 seat, and the Polaris classic touring 700 . But there seem to be so many to choose from. Any recommendations..?
dhp

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
This is just my opinon but I think the 2 up seat on the REV is way too high. Looks weird , tippy and uncomfortable for long rides. A renegade or sks can be converted with a 2 up seat and would make a great all round sled .

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I enjoy my Grand Touring. Gives me the option to take the wife the odd time, or the buds when were ice fishing.

I don't seem to have any problem keeping up with the rest of the pack on the trails, I would highly recommend one.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I was at St. Nora's channel last season. There was a guy dooing water runs with a GT583 with loaded racks. I was impressed. ski-doo=seadoo :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you are gonna do alot of two up riding, get a sled that is made for it. Your woman wont want to ride if you put her on the back of an uncomfortable machine with no handwarmers etc... for the passenger. I do not know exactly where you will ride, but if it is the slower twisty trails of Vermont, a smaller engined sled will be fine but if it the wide and sometimes straight trails of Maine's Aroostook county a 500 fan with two people on it might not cut it for you. If I were you, I personally would be looking for a two up sled like the Ski-Doo Grand touring, Polaris Touring, Yamaha Venture, Or Cat pantera lines in the 500-700 cc range liquid cooled depending on where you will ride. Also if you are on slower trails, one of the four stroke touring sled may be just what your looking for. I also recommend going and checkin out ALL brands to find what you like as far as comfort, styling etc....all manufacturers are making good machines these days it is a matter of personal tastes. Another recommendation is buy good equipment like Helmets, Jackets, Gloves, and Boots and get waterproof stuff so the snow doesnt melt on you suit and get you wet, especially in the butt.....that will make it unpleasent. You do not have to spend a bazillion dollars to get the stuff, just analyze what you buy carefully, because it will last and make it enjoyable! Have fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.. I like the renegade idea, Whats involved in the conversion..? She likes the Touring suggestion.. Dealer has a touring leftover, gonna go have a look..

Another quick one... Anyone know how the riding is in northen NY is (plattsburg area)?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you go with a single seat sled you can get 2-up seat adapters. I think there's one called the Seat-Jack that is supposed to be easy to put on\take off. If you're only going to ride 2-up some of the time this might be the way to go because you can get a lighter single seat sled.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree with slarson , Get something comfortable and good clothing for her. This can not be stressed hard enough, if she gets cold an uncomfortable your sledding days might be over. If your going to carry a passenger get a two up sled don't cheap out. Besides in a couple years you can give it her and get your self a performance sled. I have a 98 Polaris Classic Touring 500 ( wifes sled ) and a 2001 Polaris 600 Classic Touring both are very good touring sleds and very cappable of handling 2 people. The 600 does have a lot more power though. Any of the different brands of touring sleds made are pretty good these days....it's all in what you like

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
dhp78 the deluxe2up seat from bombi is exspensive it is 721usd in the book. For changing the seat it is a matter of 2 bolts and a wiring plug, 10 minute job. They also have many backrests available between 150USD and 240USD. As long as your not going to the far north, with proper clothing everyone will be warm. Being doubled all day in the freezing cold -25 or colder will be a frigid experience handwarmers or not.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
The first time I went snowmobiling with permafrost I was doubled from Deerhurst resort to Kenisis Lake Marina and back.It was a verrrry cold day.By the time we got back to Deerhurst I swore I would never set my butt on one of those blasted machines again!!It took 2 days for me to get warm.Needless to say I didnt go back out riding again the whole rest of the week we were there.Then Permafrost bought me my own machine and all the gear to go with it. I started with a formula 500 and have worked my way up to an 800 Gade.Ever since that first ride on my own machine I have been hooked ever since.

Make sure you get her the tech underwear and a good jacket and pants.Buy a 3/4 length jacket and IMHO the ladies pants suck get mens pants. Make sure the clothing isnt tight.Tight may make your butt look better but you will freeze it off.Cotton is your worst enemy.Also get some altima boots, they are very warm and comfy.I hope this helps you guys enjoy your snowmobiling time together. :D

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
As far as your suspension in concerned... your not going to be very comfortable riding 2 up on a machine whos suspension was designed for 1 up riding. Plus after you add the seat and all your looking at some serious change. I would recommend a Pantera Touring. I have this machine now. It has a removable rear seat and an adjustable backrest for when you decide to ride 1 up. It also has two overload springs in the rear skid and alot of cargo room. I never had any complaints with my 550. It is quick and nimble but a little heavy. If you want to go real fast then get an 800 twin in the touring. Theres no subsitute for comfort when your 20 miles away from anything warm and cozy.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I totaly agree with everyone that says that converting a single man sled to a two up is a bad idea.
I have a Triple touring for myself when my daughter rides along or our group is bigger than the amount of sleds involved. You can't go wrong with that type of sled. You will have warmth, comfort and great power. It's very easy to handle for such a large sled. I would really consider at least a two up sled made for two up riding. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts