Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was taken off a Detroit new station website this morning.

Snowmobilers In Western Parks Get Green Light
Clinton Administration Decision Reversed
Posted: 11:57 p.m. EST November 11, 2002

WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration is giving a green light to snowmobilers.

Officials are reversing a decision made by the Clinton administration regarding snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks.

During the Clinton era, the EPA recommended that snowmobiles be barred from the two parks to protect air quality, wildlife and people's health. The ban was supposed to go into effect in winter 2003.

But Interior Department officials say starting next month through mid-March, there will be no limits.

However, starting in December 2003, no more than 1,100 snowmobiles a day would be allowed in both parks together.

That means more of these vehicles will be allowed on average, but fewer will be allowed on traditionally busy days.

Also, starting next year commercially rented snowmobiles must have four-stroke engines, which are said to be quieter and less polluting than two-stroke engines.

Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Great news for EVERYBODY....a small step for mankind, a giant leap for the snowmobile world. Wonder how soon the arguements
will start for being able to use the cleaner two strokes for rentals.

Thank GOD Gore didn't get in!!!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sucks for the sled rental placxes that hAVE TONS OF GRAND TOURING TYPE MACHINES AND MOUNTAIN MAXES IN THERE FLEETS. i THINK IT'S A GOOD OVERALL DECISION THOUGH.
cALEB

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's very good news. I hope to get out there this winter. I hear the riding out there is just awesome.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
While it is great news, it ain't in stone yet!!!!

The enviros are already throwing their tantrums, and some of the buisnesses are already complaining about how it's gonna hurt them. For the buisnesspeople, they need to realize that the alternative was to be put completely out of buisness. I'm happy to see that a workable solution is finally getting penned out. It's WAY overdue.

Don't hold your breath Jim. The perception of the two strokes will surely keep them out, and the public readily accepts four strokes as a much cleaner running engine. If this finally does get into stone, I'll be looking strictly at four stroke sleds for what I'll be trailering around on winter trips.

·
Registered
310 Posts
NO #### THANK GOD GORE DIDNT GET IN!!!! MY GOD ENGINES WOULDNT BE MADE ANYMORE IF HE WAS!!! i hate that guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts