Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there ever used nitrous on there sled? I have seen a few kits for snowmobiles out there but I am curious how well they work. 75 hp at the push of a button sounds good, but how would you set up the clutches?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I remeber some talk about putting nitrous on a sled earlier this year.  If I remeber right it would probably work for dragging but on a trail sled you would either be clutched for nitrous and not be set up the rest of the time or be clutched for the trail and not make any use out of the nitrous.  Sure would be fun if you could make it work though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was the one who asked about it earlier this year.  Here's the info I got:
Nitrous works really well when you have it on.  But, for anything other than racing, nitrous really isn't worth it.  Due to clutching changes, the sled will not run very well when you arent on the juice.  You have to run really heavy weights to prevent over-rev when the NOS is on.  If you are a dragger, or maybe even a hillclimber, try it out, but otherwise, forget about it.
Also, think about all that extra weight you are carrying around when not on the bottle.

Good luck...

·
Registered
222 Posts
99Indy500,
What?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (99Indy500 @ April 25, 2002, 2:54pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- isnt the boost bottle?[/b][/quote]
I think he is just trying to rack up a few extra posts.LMAO

What are you trying to say Indy??!  

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think you're right PH, seen the classifieds lately?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think he is taking it easy after rocketman threatened to squish him
Getting back to the subject at hand,i don't think the bottom end of the motor would take much nitrous use before major breakage occurs

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's a heck of a lot easier running Nitromethane. You don't get the power of Nitrous, but the power you get is easily used. It will easily beat the waste of money aftermarket reeds. This is especially true for stock sleds. I'm on my third year with Nitromethane or Nitropropane and still going. (Stock 99 Mach Z)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Fast Mach Z...I have a question 4 you.  Is the Nitromethane the same fuel they use in R/C gas trucks?  Im running Byron 20% in my T-Maxx.  I cant see putting many miles on the sled if the fuels are the same.  1 Gallon of Byron is $30.00. Were doo you fill it up?  It's not like you can pull up to any pump and get Nitromethane.  Can you mix it with pump gas without any probs?  

Sorry to be a little skeptic

Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
You may want to post and ad on amsnow.com for "link" he runs a nitrous powered ZRT on radar runs. This guy really knows his stuff. He has run over 160 MPH. You can see his pic's on doubledracing.ca

·
Registered
316 Posts
Freak, no it is not the same mix as the R/C motors. Much different mix. I will write a detailed answer later tonight. I have to run. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok, here are the specifics,

The fuel can be Klotz Nitro fuel additive which is Nitropropane (with chemicals to allow it to mix with gas) a chemical that is VERY close to Nitromethane. The Nitropropane from Klotz is available all over the place, including the Klotzlube website. I also use Price Chemicals (website) MAX RACE which is 40 to 50% Nitromethane with chemicals to keep it mixed in gasoline. Both products seem to work very well.  The MAXRACE being Nitromethane, is stronger than the Klotz as far as oxygen per ounce, but they are close.  BUT, FOR STARTERS, you may want to use the Klotz Nitro as it is easier to learn with.

First, use gloves to mix this stuff as I ALWAYS spill some on my hands when mixing. My newest latest mix which is untried at the moment but should work great is the following for each gallon of unleaded premium 93 octane Mobil (what I have available) gas:

5 ounces of Torco (they have a website) Unleaded Fuel Accelerator Octane Booster
Either 4 or 5 ounces of Klotz Nitro Additive OR 4 to 5 ounces of MAX RACE
Jet rich, you want to start with a black plug and the Nitro additives will turn it medium brown.

My actual gas mix that I have used for lake racing and trail riding is 6 ounces of Klotz Nitro Additive or 4 ounces of MAX RACE per gallon of Mobil 93 octane unleaded. This is the limit without the octane booster! Of course, remember when your winning to tell all the guys, "Heck I don't know why it runs so good, it's just a stock sled!"

How rich is rich? Well, on my Mach Z the sled has a very strong intake pulse and one jet size richens the stock sleds the equivalent of a couple of jet sizes in the twins. Of course, the easiest way is to start low and work your way up. The highest I have gone is 6 ounces of Klotz per gallon as I didn't have the Torco and it started to detonate. I also had some other additives in it that I don't use anymore at 6 ounces per gallon. This summer with the Torco, I will go to 6 ounces of Klotz or 5 ounces of MAX RACE and see how it runs, it should be fine.  Plug readings are of course all important, and I recommend using AMSOIL RACE 2000 oil. This gives very accurate plug readings. This is important! You need accurate plug readings to really enjoy this and not have any motor problems. I don't like motor problems, and I worked up to these levels over a year of testing. It was a lot of fun though! Guys, I have done 90% of the work for you! Don't reinvent the wheel.

Anyways, I have run for three years on 4 ounces of Klotz or 3 ounces of MAX RACE for trail riding with no problems. It really helps wake up the stock type sleds. If you have any friends who have a rich burning sled, you can usually dump in a few ounces of Klotz Nitro additive per gallon and it will wake it up. All you have to do is check the plugs. If your clutching is on, you will not have to reclutch as your not really getting that much power as compared to Nitrous Oxide. I figure about 6 to 7 hp on an 800 triple. It is the feeling of going from 30 degrees riding down to -5 degrees. The sled just accelerates a lot harder. It's the same effect. This fuel seems to produce torque, so you do not want to clutch for more rpms. Stay on the low side of your horsepower peak and it will really work. If you over rev, your just wasting the power. If you have a high compression race motor, then you need to be extra careful. Your margin of error is much narrower. A stock sled leaves you a lot of room to play. This should hopefully get everyone started. It really is not hard, and it is a lot of fun to test and tune, as it is relatively dirt cheap to rejet, and buy the fuel mix. If you have any more questions, just ask! Also, my e-mail address is [email protected] Enjoy!

Doug

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh, and I wanted to add. Bill Cudney has known about my "funny fuel" for three years and thinks I'm certifiable. If Bill thinks I'm nuts, then you know I'm having FUN!!! I want to personally thank Bill Cudney for his help and expertise in coaching me on working on my sled. Bill has taught me the use of the "big hammer"! Thanks Bill!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Fast Mach Z - I've had old timer motor builders that say not
to run the octane boost because it doesn't mix well and/or
create hot spots. Have you noticed any inconsistancy with
the octane booster?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fast Mach Z which type of Klotz should i get i think there is like 10% 20% 30% 40% nitro mixs.  how much would i run in my race fuels that rated at 115 octane.  I like to hold it open on the river for about a 3/4 to 1-1/4 miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts