Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friends '90 indy trail 500 recently lost all the lights and tach,we tested the lighting coil yellow (positive) and brown (neg.) from the pin connector closest to the engine while running it has no voltage. Just want to be sure is this a bad lighting coil?  thanks

·
Registered
791 Posts
Try disconnecting the voltage regulator which is bolted just beside the chaincase then ground it to the engine if your lights then work you need a new regulator and if they don't work it is your lighting coil. Do this with the engine running.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I made a mistake their if you disconnect your voltage regulator and run your engine your lights should work. But don't run it to long or rev it up when you do this. If they work you need a regulator if they don't you need a lighting coil.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xc 600 thanks, it's the lighting coil, he's going to leave it for now seasons over around here, spendy part $129.00 at the local polaris dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the lights go out on a xlt one time and went and payed 145 for a stator assy. I then went and pulled off the flywheel and found out that the wire had rubbed itself in half on the engine block....you might want to check.........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts