Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was hoping someone here might have an idea why my lights and instrument cluster suddenly went out.

I started my MXZ Trail on Sunday after it had been sitting for several weeks. The engine eventually turned over after a few pulls of the recoil start; it ran roughly for a while (idling below 1K RPM) and then started to smooth out.

At first all the lights and display on the instrument panel were all on. When I reversed the sled, the reverse light and sound came on as expected. I let the sled warm up and idle for several minutes, and then eventually shut it off.

Later on I sat down on the sled to start it back up again. When I sat on it, I heard this faint sound (almost like a car horn) and then it died out. I pulled the starter; the sled started, but absolutely no lights anywhere (reverse, headlights, taillights, instrument panel). The sled could go forward and into reverse, but just no illumination.

Would this be a blown fuse? Any other explanations? Anyone else experience this on their sled?

·
Registered
103 Posts
There is a small black relay that also runs the handwarmers. If they don't work either odds are that is the problem. What year is the sled? on my 2004 Renegade it was mounted under the left side cover just above the secondary on the frame rail. It's held on by a plastic tie wrap.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a small black relay that also runs the handwarmers. If they don't work either odds are that is the problem. What year is the sled? on my 2004 Renegade it was mounted under the left side cover just above the secondary on the frame rail. It's held on by a plastic tie wrap.

Hope this helps.[/b]
Hi,

My sled's an 06. I didn't check the handwarmers, I'll try that. So you think this relay just failed? Any ideas what might have caused it to fail? Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I'd also say it is your relay, mine went last year, same results. Likely no specific defect for failure, they just go. The relay is about a 1.25" black plastic square attached to the frame up under your left side panel. You'll find it ... easy. Remove it and take it to an auto parts store, you'll save big dollars over doo parts .. get a spare for yourself or your pals ... you'll need it sooner or later.

The faint "car horn" sound was merely your fuel tank venting ... it's normal.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd also say it is your relay, mine went last year, same results. Likely no specific defect for failure, they just go. The relay is about a 1.25" black plastic square attached to the frame up under your left side panel. You'll find it ... easy. Remove it and take it to an auto parts store, you'll save big dollars over doo parts .. get a spare for yourself or your pals ... you'll need it sooner or later.

The faint "car horn" sound was merely your fuel tank venting ... it's normal.

I hope that helps.[/b]
Thanks again guys for the help. And thanks for the tip on using the auto parts store. Hate paying high prices at dealers for OEM parts.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks again guys for the help. And thanks for the tip on using the auto parts store. Hate paying high prices at dealers for OEM parts.[/b]
Napa auto store ... part no# AR 201 , this one is like 14 bucks , but there's another one thats cheaper , AR201SB . I just pick 2 up for spares.

mutt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts