Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a Snowmobile show and there was a rumor that Arctic Cat was going to stop making sleds sometime in the next 2 years. Anyone else hear that. Maybe it was a rumor started by Polaris.

·
10,054 Posts
Yeah, with all they invested in setting up lines to run the new f series,,, all the investment in the Jag motor,,, and now they are gonna stop making sleds,,,
If you believe that, I have some ocean front property just down the road from me in Ohio that I will sell you for a fair price,,,

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Yeah, with all they invested in setting up lines to run the new f series,,, all the investment in the Jag motor,,, and now they are gonna stop making sleds,,,
If you believe that, I have some ocean front property just down the road from me in Ohio that I will sell you for a fair price,,,[/b]
My opinion exactly, if they were going to bail out of the sled market this would have been the year.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've also heard people say this about Polaris stopping from making sleds two years from now, except the rumor started over 2 years ago. So that didn't happen. There are two many loyal Cat fans for it to just shut down without reason. If AFTER they shut down, THEN believe it, but only then. I could start a new rumor right here: Yamaha's huge failure to produce on the 4 stroke is leaving them with an estimated 1.2 billion dollar loss, and plans are to shut down or hand over the technology to Honda who wishes to enter the snowmobile market sometime between 2008 and 2010. There ya go, I believe that is more believable.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Its hard to believe that. The lack of good winters has certainly put a hurt on the snowmobile economy but I dont believe it would warrant them to quit.

·
Registered
430 Posts
They did go out of business in 81' through 83'. I think that was because of a Kawasaki conflict with their motors. Regardless the industry has taken a huge hit in the Midwest because of the lack of snow and the overall expense of the sport.
Look at Polaris they are on the verge of bankruptcy. I think Bombardier and Yamaha are the only ones with deep enough pockets to keep up this insane pace.
It would not surprise me in the least if Cat and Polaris seriously downsized or merged with another company.

It's tough to justify 3 or 4 $8,000 machines that only get used 3 times or so a season. Then spend another $1,500 over a 3-day weekend and you’re into the sport for over $5,000 a winter. That's not taking into account the incidental costs of gas, oil, clothing etc. That’s a whole bunch of disposable income. It's turned into a rich mans sport and there are not enough rich men that snowmobile to keep the economies of the entire Midwest rolling.
My wife and I make around 6 figures and we are far from rich. Kids, transportation, house and retirement savings pretty much sucks all income leaving little to none for snowmobiling or even vacationing.
Nonetheless, rumors always have some bit of truth to them.
This rumor however may be over the top.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
LOL on the Yamaha rumour

they are the only ones to gain market share year after year since 03

HMMM what year was the RX1 released?

BTW all these rumours are BS

No one is leaving the sled business

1 - 7 of 7 Posts