1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
everyones hurtin

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bottom line is this..... seasons are getting shorter, the costs to ride keep going up, and the initial sled costs are insane. $15000 CAD for a high end sled. So what's happening, is people are buying new sleds every 5 years instead of 3 years. Also, because of the shorter winters, and higher costs to hit the trails, a lot of people who aren't "hard core" are just dumping their used sleds for whatever they can get, and getting right out of the sport. So a guy like me who isn't all that wealthy, is buying a 3 or 4 year old sled for dirt cheap, as opposed to financing a new sled so I can ride it 2 mths out of the year.
People complain about gas prices, or trail pass prices, etc. And in reality, it's a combination of EVERYTHING. It's just getting too expensive as compared to the short amount of time we have to enjoy it. People are getting bummed out about the shorter seasons, and the rising costs are just the straws that break the camel's backs.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
When I click your link I'm getting the Startribune ... Nothing about Arctic Cat at all on the page.

Snow4

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
When I click your link I'm getting the Startribune ... Nothing about Arctic Cat at all on the page.

Snow4[/b]
{Go to the business part.} It only talks about a turn around, nothing about dropping out. I can't see cat going out.

·
Registered
610 Posts
No different than Ski-Doo, Yamaha, Or Polaris sled sales. The one thing the other three have is PWC and motorcycle sales. That alone can hold a company afloat better or at least make it look that way. Trust me, they are all hurting in sled sales. My local Cat dealer buys 2 loads of previous year sleds each year and sells them for $500-$3500 less than retail when they were current.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The sky is NOT falling but it is starting to get cloudy

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yamaha and Doo could get out of the business and not even think twice about it.
After all Bombardiers make jet engines and airplanes. Yamaha has a strong hold in the off road street bike, racing and electronics department. Polaris has a relatively good line of ATV's, Pwc's and the Victory motorcycle line.
Cat has snowmobiles, 4-wheelers and generators.
Unfortunately, for Cat they are the smallest entity out of the big 4 and could easily be acquired by one of them. I would think Bombardier would suck them up and dismantle them.

I am old enough to remember the demise of Cat in the early 80's when they had the engine vendor issue. Back then Cat even made refrigerators to stay in business.
Could we see an Arctico sticker on a house hold appliance again? Doubtful-
If the market keeps tanking like it is then Cat will be gone within 5 years or sooner.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i'd hate to see any go down the tubes.that could happen,but more likely a merger or buy out.who ever did it would be crazy to drop cat. specialy if they buy the name. well lets hope all is well and gas goes down. ha.

·
10,054 Posts
Cat isnt the only one hurting on sales,,, they are hurting, no doubt but as mentioned earlier,,, shorter seasons, higher gas prices, higher trail prices, higher hotel bills, higher eating out bills are all adding up,,,, now with technology getting better,,, we are paying more for those sleds.

Give em some time,,, they will fight right back into it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yamaha and Doo could get out of the business and not even think twice about it.
After all Bombardiers make jet engines and airplanes.[/b]
Didn't Bombardier sell Doo and the rest of the recreational division a year ago as a cash grab for their other divisions? Hence the BRP logo on your sleds, quads, outboards, etc...

·
Registered
980 Posts
Didn't Bombardier sell Doo and the rest of the recreational division a year ago as a cash grab for their other divisions? Hence the BRP logo on your sleds, quads, outboards, etc...[/b]
Yup, and Polaris dropped its watercraft division a few years ago.
Times are tough all around.

·
Registered
70 Posts
even car sales are down lately. you see GM, ford, etc reporting losses every year. The economy is hurt, and consumers are showing it. Starbucks reports low sales, but maybe people are just smartening up and not paying $5 for a cup of coffee...lol 5 bucks at home will make me what...10 gallons of coffee? :D

personally, arctic cat should just make some sleds that arnt so damn ugly. bright green on the snow makes me wanna puke. Ski-doos yellow at least kinda blends in a little.

ah dont mind me, I only have a 1995 yamaha vmax :D because is SURELY cant afford a 6k+ sled...

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Once in awhile a company has to go through this to get stronger. As a person in the hunt for a new sled this winter, and the owner of a 2007 Arctic Cat already, I should be able to get one heck of a deal but will wait until I get to Michigan to get serious.
Richard

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Earlier this year it was Polaris going under. Who'll be the subject of the next rumour? BRP? Yamaha?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Cat isnt the only one hurting on sales,,, they are hurting, no doubt but as mentioned earlier,,, shorter seasons, higher gas prices, higher trail prices, higher hotel bills, higher eating out bills are all adding up,,,, now with technology getting better,,, we are paying more for those sleds.

Give em some time,,, they will fight right back into it.[/b]
The article points out that Cat is in an especially difficult position because snowmobiles make up 33% of their business, whereas with Polaris it's only 9%.

That does go to show how fast a new business idea can turn things around though. Polaris has been making quads for 20 years, motorbikes for less then 10, and already the snowmobiles are a very minor part of the overall business. WHo knows what idea Cat will come up with. DOn't count them out just because of hard times.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I thought this post was from the late 70's early 80's :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts