Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck is cat thinking, i talked with my dealer this morning and he said that cat had taken away two of his best selling sleds,  and he had gotten very few f cats to replace the numberas of zrs he had been slelling.   just something that p me off today.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I was surprised that they elimated those models. First heard about that late Spring. I know they expect the F-Cat to take over that section of sales, but I think the market still exists for ZR's, and not just 800 or 900 cc's. The Firecat is a different style of ride, not that it will be bad, just different. No Paul, other than the Firecat, they did not replace the ZR5 or ZR6. They also eliminated the ZL500 for the year. My opinion is that is a decent size segment of the market still exists for them.I'm sure Cat did some market research, they just didn't bother to ask me  
 My hope is they don't consider eliminating the ZR altogether, though I'm sure they think the ZL's will fill that niche..not for me it won't

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just my 2 cents the only thing i can think of is that they pulled the zr6 because they are developing a high output 600 like ski-doos 600 ho. They had the 700 that had fallen behind a couple of years ago so they pulled it and now after acouple of years they introduce this killer 700 that is ahead of the competition all this is what i have brainstormed in my spare time and is probably a 100% wrong.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they jumped the gun by at least a year by getting rid of the tcwt, plus the zr 5,6 snd the zl 5,  you are right when you say the fire cat is a much diffrent ride, it is more of a stand up drag your sled around a sharp corner, ther zr is s sit down model,  ie there is much diffrence between a race snow pro, and a more trail friendly sled.  i think alot of peopl,e will just keep there sleds from last year to see how the firecat turns out.   then we will all have to go from there.  i think i am just going to get the zrt 800 fired back up and ride that. 150 hp all the way.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Their reasoning is easy to figure out.....ZR500's and 600's must not have been selling well overall, thats the only reason they would give them the axe.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't believe that, I see more ZR's on the trail then ZL's. It would be nice though to obtain the sales figures just to see where they stand in sales for the past few years. Obviously there are no ZR5's or 6's to compete with F-Cat sales. I know manufacturers have to keep giving us "new and improved" products or else consumers go elsewhere for the latest technology. Guess I just have to live with it, and see what comes out next.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The F-cats may turn out to be great sleds but I would have thought leaving the 5+600 ZR's in the mix for another season at least during snow check would have been a more prudent move on their part. I also question the mumber of sleds available with EFI only. Certainly its a great system but for many (including me) I can't justify the additional expense over carbs. If the day comes that their system is capable of producing substantial gains in both h/p and mileage well count me in, till then I'll keep the additional dollars in my pocket instead of theirs. Rick.

A

·
0 Posts
Some how I think that AC is heading right back to what happened to them in the 80's.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm kinda thinking the same thing, will it be a sink or swim year for AC? Only time will tell. I certainly wish them well but wonder if they chased away too many of the ZR faithful with the new line up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ok guys, settle down. Be looking for an F6 mid-season. Not sure if it is carbed or EFI though. Also be looking for the TCat replacement
Now I'm not 100% on these but from talking to a friend @ Cat this was what I could make of it.

Now as for no ZR 5 or 6, the segment the ZR500 had been hitting the best and most is covered by the F5. The 600, agian, mid-season. Not sure but plan on seeing the rest of the 2 strokes to stay the same till 2006. Cat will be all 4 stroke by then. ZLs will be replacing the ZRs. Same ergos as a ZR, might be seeing shock options. Agian this is all a very educated guess, but not in stone.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I doubt that someone looking to buy a familiar ZR will settle for a ZL. They may look close but thats where the similarties end.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I agree.  Take nothing away from the ZL, it's not a ZR though.  Drop the ZL and make a ZR with more suspension and color options.  Problem solved.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I should have stated that different, there will be different packages available on the ZL models. Shocks, springs, clutching, gearing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can get a ZR600 with a slightly longer track, it's called a mountain cat sled.  It would have a slightly longer track, but the shorter track version of the mountain can ZR would be close enough and some people love mountain sleds even on the trails.

Greg

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jdsmi @ Sep. 23, 2002, 1:13pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cat supposedly hired some maketing guru last year.  Let's hope he knows what he's dooing (pun intended).[/b][/quote]
He probably went to the same marketing school that Lutz ( the former Chrysler guy that GM hired) The '03 trucks have less standard equipment (de-contented & cost more) I guess it helps profits.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Cat has stated that while they know the 600 class is hot they just do not have a 600 engine that can compete with the 600h.o and xc600. They feel the F5 will keep up with the old 600's untill they have time to develope a new 600. You have to remember that all this cost $$$ to develope and cat already had spent cash on the F5 and F7 and just could not put the cash or people to work on an F6. Cat fans should worry about why there is no F6. What they should be questioning is why Cat decided to go with an F5 and F7 instead of an F6 and F8. To me this seems like a more logical idea. Cat had a huge following with the old ZR580 and ZR600 and many will be shuddring at the thought of an F7. Remember Cat's old 700. Wish you could forget about it right? with all the problems Cats having getting there F7 into production I would be a little worried. Time will tell. By spring the hard facts will be in. Cat had there sleds up in Thompson Manitoba this past May and from some of the locals opinions there was some issues with both new engines but also structure wise. Apparently the sleds works great for a 150 lb racer but bad things happen when you put on a 250 lb rider and send him out ditch bangin.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Just though I'd let you guys know that the F-5's are light as heck!!!! I lifted one today with one hand eaily! I couldn't believe it. The Z370 next to it was a two hander and so was the Renagade 800 on it's other side. I really think that the F-5's  & F-7's will be a great sled.
Caleb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts