Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i mad an observation today. My sled barely smokes. From my experience with older outboard motors is smoke is good . I was just with my buddy and started his sled mach1 670. and she smoked like a son of a gun wich is good in my opinion. Is it normal for a small sled like mine? is there a way to make it richer without adjusting the carb? If not which way do i turn the screw to richen? Polaris doc im sure i will get a pm soon. everybody else whats youre imput? I wanted to go for a rip tonight but now i am paranoid.

Second question is has anybody bypassed there oil reservoir and just mixed directly in the tank?

message for admin. I would like to be banned from the arcade between the hours of 9-5. I am affraid yeti sports has taken up my life..lol

seabass

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pull your plugs and read them! That will tell you how its running.

Check your oil line to make sure that there is no air bubble. Check your oil pump make sure it is adj. propely. Premix in your tank if you have to.

Stock sled are set up extremely rich.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If in doubt, and at the beginning of every season, I run mixed in the tank at a rate of around 80:1. I do that with a full oil reservoir so I can watch things to make sure the pump is working at a good rate. A good oil even at a fairly weak mix will protect the engine in all but the worst conditions even if the pump isn't working. (Of course, it probably isn't the wisest thing to go real hard on it if there is any doubt.) Too much oil can also be bad which is why I mix weak if I don't have a solid reason to think the pump isn't working.

Some of the old oils smoked a lot more than the new ones. One of the ways that oils for ordinary two strokes meet current standards like JASO FC is to produce less smoke. They get there by using a blend of mineral and synthetic oils. THe smoke is less visible but you can still smell the oil - and, of course, each oil smells a bit different. If you're using Polaris Blue or other semi-synthetic oil, that may be why you aren't seeing smoke. Use your nose and watch the oil reservoir.

My old 488 doesn't smoke , yet uses oil just a bit quick. The smell is evident in the exhaust stream though not obnoxiously so. I run a blended oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts