Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law was telling me last night that there is no longer a need for Ontario trail passes and that trails won't be groomed as the ofsc has folded because they have to much debt. Is this true? What's happening over there you Ontario riders.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I think your Brother-in-law is pulling your chain zert. Our trail passes are $140.00 before Dec.1 and $170.00 after. We have over 40,000km of groomed trail in Ontario. More miles in snowmobile trails then highways. :) :)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Yah, forsure Zert... big time chain pulling.
The OFSC is doing fine, now if they could only get snowmakers for infront of the groomers!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Isn't that why the Internet was invented? To spread rumours?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I guess the trail passes we bought are no good then :( LadyK it is much closer to 50000 kms of trails :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Actually it may be partially true, I heard on another forum that theres a club in the far north that will not open its trails this season. As for the rest of the system its ready for the white stuff to cometh.
Rick.

·
Registered
900 Posts
an area in northwestern ontario will not be grooming the trails this year..not sure exactly what area but i read it from one of the ofsc meetings..not sure why they are not grooming..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's in the Kenora area. The local snowmobile club is being sued by the MNR for various reasons. Not a good situation, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It must be around the Kenora area he was referring to. He was there the couple of days working. Thanks for clearing that guys and LadyK of course.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ahh you got to love rumors ....lol
No the ofsc is doing just fine , they are not going broke , there is still going to be snowmobiling in Ontario this winter , yes it's going to snow and yes you still do need a trail pass . You brother in law is somewhat confused . I think the actuall trail mileage is close to 48,000 kms ( no thats not a typo and I will look up the actall figure and let you know ).
As for the trails in the Kenora area here is the posting I got from another board:

FYI: Just got word this morning that the local OFSC club (Sunset Trail
Riders SC Inc. ) won't be marking or grooming trails in Kenora, Ontario for
the 2002/03 season.

That's 1200km of trail, from what I understand, including the major
east-west links of the OFSC trans-Ontario A and D trail.

They cite a pending court case as the major source of the trouble. Club
is facing three charges concerning maintaining/marking trails last season
(all bogus from what we hear) and goes to court Dec 5.

That is probably what started your brother in laws rumor off but that is just one club , there is still 260 other clubs that are part of the ofsc .

Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
343 Posts
We went for a trip in 98-99 and 00-01 season to there and was never groom what so ever both times we went . The club up there has no enforcement for trail permits and people simply don't buy them. And to top it off, the opp does nothing or has nothing to do with snowmobiling or trails or permits or f--- all. I know this because we had a friend that live there for 6 years also.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here is one you guys might find interesting. The local club in my hometown (Kirkand Lake, ON) has decided not to post signs on the trails this year, believing that this will cause sledders to slow down. They are purposely leaving the corner signs down this season. What do you guys think of this? Will it work?

·
Registered
85 Posts
There taking the corner signs down! Well that shouldn't last very long. They'll be up the following year when when someone takes the bush and sues the club. Weird way of thinkin anyway. :withstupid:

Thanks

Eat My Snowdust

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The reduced signage on the trails for the coming season is part of a new policy from the OFSC not local clubs.
My understanding is that its a means by which the OFSC and their legal team feel they can best cut down on their liability and hopefully curb some of these rediculous lawsuits that are threatening our sport. If it works or not has yet to be seen, do I agree with them, no but do support them in as much as something has to be done.
I hope they're right and I'm wrong.
Happy trails
Rick.

·
Registered
752 Posts
For those of you who are still confused about the signage changes , search the archives of this board for posts about ofsc trail signage changes , this has all been well covered before with sufficiant information for you to understand the changes . Also follow this link ( it has all the information there as well ) .

http://www.sciencehilldrifters.com/signage.htm

Doing all that will give you enough information to understand why the changes are happening and whats being done to make riding safer .

Yes there will be more accidents and probably more deaths this coming winter if people don't slow down and respect the trails. There is places to go fast but trails aren't it anymore.
No I don't ride at 50 kms or less but I sure are going to be more cautious this winter .

As a side note while sorting out new trail signs last night and collecting signs that can not be used any more, I found that it is only about 20 % of the over all signs are going to be removed. Most of which are being replaced by new ones . Total signage is not going to change it is just going to be different and more uniform across the Province and you as the rider need to be aware of the changes , I have done my best to keep everyone updated so that we don't loose any Snowmobile World members .

·
Registered
752 Posts
ZR Sled Head : If it works or not has yet to be seen, do I agree with them, no but do support them in as much as something has to be done.
My thoughts exactly , but I do know I am going to make sure my clubs trails are done to to the letter of the law and my butt is covered in case there is an accident and a lawsiut .

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Its a damm shame its come to this, so many have worked so hard to improve signage over the years only to see things take a large step backwards.
#@$#%$#%[email protected]# lawyers and the $#@%$#%$#'s that hire them!!!!!!
Rick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts