Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 xcsp 500 in the begining of the season i took it to the dealership to get serviced and replace the speedometer cable and key ever since whenever i am riding there is a whining coming from the sled the faster i go the louder it gets i called the dealer and they said it is nothing they did so i disconnected the speedometer cable at the motor and the noise was still there and i loosened the track with the same result does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

·
Registered
79 Posts
It sounds like a drivetrain noise, bearings, etc. May or may not be associated with your recent service. The first step in troubleshooting, mind you, is to go back to the most recent maintenance action. :slick:

One area to look might be the chain tension. This adjustment most likely was touched during the last service. I usually keep mine finger tight, then backoff 2-3 flats. Tight chains howl like a banchee if they're too tight, and the noise is proportional to vehicle speed, ie increases as the sled speed increases. If the noise increases or decreases with engine rpm (at the same vehicle speed), you may have a clutch or engine problem.

With the track off the ground, spin the track (engine running), and listen for the noise. A good noise isolator is a piece of broomstick up against what you're listening to, with the other end touching your ear.... Be extreeeeeeeeeeeeeemly careful around moving / rotating parts.

Let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i have a 2002 xcsp 500 in the begining of the season i took it to the dealership to get serviced and replace the speedometer cable and key ever since whenever i am riding there is a whining coming from the sled the faster i go the louder it gets i called the dealer and they said it is nothing they did so i disconnected the speedometer cable at the motor and the noise was still there and i loosened the track with the same result does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?[/b]
That was the world's longest sentence......

I rode the sled in question about 15 miles last weekend. (Yes I put gas in it....)
I was riding it with my head down by my left and then right knee and the noise is definitly louder on the chaincase side. Also it is definitly track-speed dependant, not engine speed dependant. When I had the sled at my house I checked the fluid and it was full. Do we have to pull the cover off the chaincase to adjust it? I'm going by memory but I dont remember seeing an adjuster bolt.

EDIT: Tony, change the title to something more descriptive like "Whining noise from my 2002 XC SP is driving me clinically insane."

·
Registered
476 Posts
polaris are known for chaicase noise. pretty common.[/b]
Chain case noise while braking, yes. Chain case noise while moving forward, not so much, as least on my 3 Edges anyway. So does the noise change any while braking? There have been some problems with the bolt on the lower gear in the chain case coming loose. I would imagine if that bolt was spinning against the case, that could make a bad sound. Mr. Obvious here, there is oil in the chaincase, right? Running the sled with no chaincase oil for the last year, would definitley make it scream. :crazy: So yes, it looks like taking the chain case cover off and taking a look would be the thing to do.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The noise doesn't appear to be bake related. That was my second though (speedo cable was the first) Pull the brake and the noise slows down with the track.

Yep, there's oil in it- I checked when it was at my house.

The bolt in the lower gear loosens!?? It doesn't sound like I'd imagine that would sound but that sure is something to check for!

Snofast, is the adjuster bolt inside or outside the chaincase? i.e. to adjust it, does the cover have to come off?

·
Registered
476 Posts
The adjuster bolt is on the outside front of the chaincase. It's that bolt you see sticking out, pointing towards the front bumper. Lossen the locking nut, back it out till there is no tension on it, then turn it in till you meet resistance, then back it out 1/4 to 1/2 turn ( like Avtech said). Snug down the locking nut, without turning the bolt, and then you are adjusted right.

On the inside there is pivot type adjuster, with a roller on the end that contacts the chain. Some times that roller causes problems, and you may need to replace it. Could be the chain too. I'm thinking it still may be a bearing going bad on the jackshaft or on the track drive shaft. We all like for you to eliminate the easy and cheap things first, and only then tackle the pita items, like a bad bearing. One more thing, if you want to take the chaincase cover off ( which I would reccomend, if after going thru the adjustment proceedure, you still have that noise) you will need to take the exhaust pipe and muffler off to get good access. No big deal, just remember where all the springs go.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just wanted to add, the whiney sound from braking is also present when decelerating quickly, you don't necessarily have to touch the brake, just let go of the throttle completely. It's not just Polaris though, I've heard the same sound on Bombardier video drag racing clips (perhaps I'm talking about a different sound). Doesn't help, I know I know, just saying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, it was the chain in the chaincase. It was too tight and ended up wearing out the roller on the pivot adjuster inside the chaincase. At the time, I was also getting excess Metal particles on the chaincase dipstick rod. I adjusted it and replaces the adjuster and everythinf is fine. Follow their directions, they know what they are talking about. Thanks to the helpers in the Forum.. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I adjusted the chaincase the way you guys explained to. The sled run great now and no annoying sound anymore. Thanks for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts