Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How reliable are octane boosts you can buy? I need to get to 91 for my mach, and all we have where I ride is 87. What is the best way to get the extra 4 points octane besides buying 91 from the pump?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Octane boost is good for a few points. If you fill with 87 and add some boost to it your ok. And at worst if you can only fill with 87 just take it easy on the engine till you get the boost in it or higher octane fuel.

Ive ridden my mach with 87 before in situations where thats all i could get and i never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
A mach won't run on 87? I thought that it could unless it was jetted on the edge. Ouch at the pumps!!!!!!!! Octane boosters qork, I wouldn't think you'd have problems in a motor like that. how about it guys??????? I would try atleast 89 octane if you can find it though.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
My 700 triple wants 91 min also.

I always carry an octane boost with me, in case I can't find 91.

But like Machzzzz said, if you get stuck, just take it a little easier on the machine, until you can get the good stuff.

FishHog

·
Registered
310 Posts
some octane booster that they have add upto 10 points. they also have some "non-street legal" boosters. so if u buy 87 octane, it would be prob around 95. (if they say 10 its probably more ike 6-8)

·
Registered
272 Posts
A shop that I worked at did some testing on differnt booster, put it this way - its cheaper, safter and better for your engine to use the real thing but if you do have to Outlaw actually was the best in the finding that we figured out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i have used straight methanol for an octane boost ! adds a nice kick but i am sure it isn't good for the motor :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
What ever you do, don't put it in the back storage compt. of your sled. I have the green and black seat on my zrt and of course had the cap come off and seal punctured more then once. The seat reeks of amsoil octane boost and has started to turn the green to a nice shade of brown. Kevin

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good Question! The popular Octane Boosters that are available like Outlaw and 104+ Race and others usually work pretty good. With ALL of them though, be sure to use them at double strength if your in doubt about your fuel quality. In Octane Boosters unlike most products, you really can't use too much. They are perfectly safe for the motor and will do no harm. The "claims" of how much they boost the Octane numbers are of course "best case". You can get 3 points with no problem at double strength. Go to Walmart and get one of the big name brands on sale. Make sure on the bottle it talks about a 7 point boost. If you have other questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts