Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,  a couple questions,  Does anyone know what level octane should I adjust my fuel to on my 2001 440 sno-pro?  also, how would i mix my fuel?  Please email me at [email protected].  Also, How can I make the sled go more than 90 MPH?  

Thank you.

Eskimo Racer

·
Registered
518 Posts
My 99 Snopro says run at least 92 octane.
Not sure what you're talking about, mixing fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about the mixing fuel question,  our pump fuel runs at 80.7 level octane,  and the race fuel we use has a octane level of 104(i think).  Is there a formula for getting the right octane level by mixing the two.  I have heard suggestions to basically average the two numbers by mixing 50-50.  you would get 92.35 octane mixed fuel.

is this so?

Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
My Sno Pro also needs 92 octane and I think that all ZR Sno Pros need 92.  I also mix fuel I mix it 1:5 110 octane race fuel and 93 octane pump fuel.  you can mix it how ever you want to get the desired octane. I have never heard of 80 octane pump gas the lowest around hear is 87 and in the mountain areas 85, unless you buy it bulk. Any way this method does work. The only reason I do this is because it helps prevent a burn down from the timing being to advanced and snow ingestion, even though it is not needed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
the only way good to get more speed is to re-gear it this will also slow your acceleration. you can get twin pipes that run more RPM and that will also increase speed and acceleration.  I would pipe it and gear it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
id run a 50/50 mix of C14 race fuel and 91 then advance the timing a bit.    as for pipes, don't expect too much unless you start pulling quite a bit of RPM.   you can clutch and gear your sled to hit more than 90 mph.   these 440's were never made to pull high speed, they can do it though.    what kind of clutch set-up do you have in there right now?    gearing specs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, thanks to all your replies,  I am going to invest in twin pipes, I imagine the ones from Black magic is the one to go with, if not the only ones.  The race course enables us to sacrifice the Low end to boost top end,  it is a cross country race on sea ice, fairly flat with long straightaways (.5 mile is longest).  My gearing now is 22-39 and I think I can improve to a higher ratiod gear.  The mixing of fuel question is still not answered.  How do you know to mix 50:50 or other ratios.  I can only suspect that you average the octane level of both fuels, that is what i am wondering.  What is the formula you use.  The fuel we have is very bad this year, it is shipped up during the summer, tests showed octane level of only 80.7

·
Registered
139 Posts
I thought that you just take the average of the two like you said before.  so at 50;50 you would add 80.7 and 104 and divide by 2.  this is the only way that i have heard of.  I would get opinions from other racers and dealers.  D&D also makes twin pipes. but I don't know the HP with those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
#1 or 93 octan gas is considered bad after it has been out of the ground for more than 3 months
if you are using old 93 octan gas it can be worse than bronze.
i always buy my #1 from a place that i no the sell alot of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts