Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AGM packages have started arriving at the mailboxes of the OFSC member clubs. The trails committee is recommending the permit prices for 2008/2009 be set at $180 on or before Dec 1 and $230 after Dec 1 for a full season permit. The 7 day permit is $120 and the 3 day permit is $90.

For all the people who take issue with the cost of the OFSC permit this is your chance to contact your local snowmobile club and voice your opinions on the permit price. While the OFSC trails committee recommends the price structure it is the OFSC member clubs who ratify it. They have the opportunity to either change the price up or down (although there are a lot of factors to consider in doing either one of those). The OFSC AGM takes place in Huntsville this year Sept 21-23.

Finding the contact person for your local club should be as easy as asking at your local sled dealership or checking the OFSC website (www.ofsc.on.ca) for information if you don't already know. When contacting your local club executive to voice your opinions please be prepared to be educated on the trails system and quite possibly be recruited to help maintain the local trail system.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i have no problem paying 180.00 for a season permit. HOWEVER!!!!!! we have 4 sleds in our family to permit. I feel they should sell a package for familys maybe offer them a little cheaper for multi permit buyers. one could argue this fact and say that people could just pool up,but this is easy to avoid by makeing sure all permits being sold as a family package have valid ownerships shown in that family name. this way maybe more families could get into the sport and bring new riders into the pool of the sledding community. to me this is very exspensive as 1 guy pays 180 and #####es about the price think of us and many other multi sled familyies as i know there are many, i pay out $720 a year. thats just my 2 cents

·
Registered
443 Posts
:withstupid: yea that makes sense, to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have no problem paying 180.00 for a season permit. HOWEVER!!!!!! we have 4 sleds in our family to permit. I feel they should sell a package for familys maybe offer them a little cheaper for multi permit buyers. one could argue this fact and say that people could just pool up,but this is easy to avoid by makeing sure all permits being sold as a family package have valid ownerships shown in that family name. this way maybe more families could get into the sport and bring new riders into the pool of the sledding community. to me this is very exspensive as 1 guy pays 180 and #####es about the price think of us and many other multi sled familyies as i know there are many, i pay out $720 a year. thats just my 2 cents[/b]
You guys pay a huge amount in Ontario. But I agree with your statement. Snowmobiling can be a true family activity.
Here in saskatchewan I pay $115 to regis. and snopass ( combined) my 02 800 Renegade. Plus I get to ride on the Manitoba Sno pass trails.
At $230 for a pass in Ontario, I would def'n bbe raising my voice

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Way to go Rob!!! Open up the flood gates. LOL

What a great way to get potential volunteers to chase us down for a change though.

By the way, if you want to complain about permit prices, my phone number just happens to be the same as Rob's.

If you want to volunteer to work on the trails in the Plattsville / Bright / Innerkip Ontario area, please PM me. lol

Jeff

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Way to go Rob!!! Open up the flood gates. LOL

What a great way to get potential volunteers to chase us down for a change though.

By the way, if you want to complain about permit prices, my phone number just happens to be the same as Rob's.

If you want to volunteer to work on the trails in the Plattsville / Bright / Innerkip Ontario area, please PM me. lol

Jeff[/b]
Jeff,
As the grand poobah of the district you would be my first phone call to complain. I heard the snow doesn't usually start until Baden so the extra volunteers would be better off working on these trails.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have no problems paying the $180 for a yearly pass. but I agree, a discount for 3 sleds or more in a family, would be a great idea.

·
Registered
252 Posts
is there a person to email this question to at the ofsc office. or perhaps a phone number to the right place. the website that was already mentioned doesn't allow you to email a question. as for the huntsville thing that might be hard for us to get to as we have to work overtime to pay for the permits to ride this year.i would really like to mention this idea of multi permit discounts to someone, because as of next year i will have 6 sleds to permit as the 2 youngest are already counting down the days when they can climb on their own sled.i also know of 2 fellas at work that have the same problem with 4 sleds,and the 1 fella is seriously considering selling out as it is just getting to costly and out of his budget.and i think he is not alone,the ofsc is always saying not enough permits are being sold, i think this is a great way to promote new people to the sport as well as keep the people they already have. now who is with me on this lol.

·
Registered
481 Posts
So what is your point I'll pay 180.00 for a permit Just the price for doing the sport GO down hill sking and see what it cost you GO golfing see what it cost ..There's no multi use permits there ?? :blahblah:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
You guys pay a huge amount in Ontario. But I agree with your statement. Snowmobiling can be a true family activity.
Here in saskatchewan I pay $115 to regis. and snopass ( combined) my 02 800 Renegade. Plus I get to ride on the Manitoba Sno pass trails.
At $230 for a pass in Ontario, I would def'n bbe raising my voice[/b]
HMMMM how many miles between Sask and Manitoba vs Ontario???

I would guess less than a 1/3

I have no problems paying the $180 for a yearly pass. but I agree, a discount for 3 sleds or more in a family, would be a great idea.[/b]
If you can afford 3 sleds and pay insurance for 3 sleds,3 permits should not be a problem

Lets say a family of 3 sleds one puts 4000ks,the other 2500ks and the other 2000ks

And then you got the one guy with only one sled that only puts 1000ks

Who does more damage to the trail base in theory???

YES I know there are people that have a SPARE sled for friends

I say buy the extra permit and charge $20-40 to who ever borrows the sled on a weekend or ride

You should be able to recoupe some of the cost of that extra permit IMO

Btw expect a huge drop in permit sales in some areas after last years EXTREME LOW snow

BUT like what was said above,join a club and help out and put your 2 cent in,you might make a diference and will most likely meet a great bunch of guys and gals who share the same passion as you!!!!!!!!

I enjoy the past few years helping out with my club

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you can afford 3 sleds and pay insurance for 3 sleds,3 permits should not be a problem.[/b]
This is a ridiculous theory. What if the 3 sleds are older sleds, and the insurance is less than the cost of the trail pass. The family just likes to ride leisurely on the weekends.

Lets say a family of 3 sleds one puts 4000ks,the other 2500ks and the other 2000ks

And then you got the one guy with only one sled that only puts 1000ks

Who does more damage to the trail base in theory???[/b]
I would say that most families, where there are 3-4 sleds and the kids are starting riding, won't do even 1000km a year. the guy with one sled would do more damage, cause he's the one pinning it in the corners and ripping through the cornfields.

YES I know there are people that have a SPARE sled for friends[/b]
A spare sled shouldn't get any discount. Its owned by the same person.

·
Registered
252 Posts
exactly right doo rider!!!! as i said already there are many families who are on a budget and would really like to ride the trails that are safe, but can't afford to do so. so as an alternative they ride the ditches and unsafe environments. reality check there freezie!! what you are saying is that only the rich are allowed to enjoy the sport we all love. well thats the attitude that is making this a dieing sport. and with that attitude there won't be any trails left as pretty soon there won't be any riders left willing to pay. you of all people should be in agreement with me, as you saw last year you guys had no snow and what happened to the winter bread and butter in your area,it was not there notta, nothing. wouldn't it make more sense to offer families a better deal to attract them to the sport. more people in the sport = more money for your area which depends on it. let me show you another example, a guy has 3 sleds in his family, 1 is his and the other is his wifes and the 3rd is his kids. in most cases the wifes sled is ridin by the kids as she stays home. so the guy figures i will just buy 2 permits and the 3rd sled i won't bother wasting the money. now you look at this as a so what, i look at this as a loss of revenue for the ofsc. offer that guy a deal like if you buy 3 permits you get them for 150 bucks each. know your saying thats a 90 dollar loss of revenue, NOT REALLY in reality its a $60 profit more then they would have got if he only bought his usual 2 permits. so you see frezzie its a win win situation, the rider is very happy he felt he got a great deal, the ofsc just scored an extra bit of cash they might not have.now take me for an example thats a 120 dollar gain, and next year 240 dollar gain. and now my kids will be hooked for life just as you and i were so long ago. this would make this a gain in the sport and keep it alive for generations to come. so if you sit and think about it freezie i know you will see it as a major marketing strategy for the ofsc. please correct me if i'm wrong but i think i might be onto something. more $$$$$$ means better trails and more of them. we have a great thing right here in our own back yard lets keep it going and growing. i'm not trying to start a fued with ya bud just trying to find solutions and increase sales of permits.

·
Registered
349 Posts
well everyone in Canada should now we are overpriced and screwwed on pretty much everything here in Ontario!

At $230 for a pass in Ontario, I would def'n bbe raising my voice[/b]

·
Registered
795 Posts
I don't mind paying $180, but when there is no snow & you don't get to ride :bash: that sucks. I know there is alot of hours put into the trails.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I would pay the increase myself as you all have some amazing trails up there. I don't think I could however pay for the whole family to come. With as much as my wife rides the trail permit alone would more than pay for all her gas and oil to ride a whole season in Michigan. Maybe I'll think differently though when we both get real jobs :tongue:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Don't forget that the MTO is involved as well in the permits. The bureaucrats will say we don't give a family discount if your family has 3 or 4 cars in the driveway.

·
Registered
430 Posts
For last 3 years I have been reading this same subject and have extensively commented about your entire set up.
I have given information and links to how our system is run which dwarfs yours in terms of income and individual budgets.
For instance the Bo-Boen club operates on a budget of $90,000 to $100,000.
That’s only one snowmobile club out of the hundreds we have. Now, of course they are the largest and the large majority operates with considerably less.

My comments in the past were looked upon as ridiculous etc.
Even with linked facts right in the post.

Our DNR collects $15.00 a year for the registration sticker.
We also throw another $25.00 a year for a family membership at the snowmobile club.
You guys Pay $180.00 a year that’s almost 1,800% more than we pay.
However, nothing ever changes. That cost isn’t even justifiable.
How many of you see floods of Americans crossing the boarder to use your trail system?
$720.00 to use 4 sleds in Canada is absolute insanity!!!!

JasonF made a point that has been stated in the past by many.
Lower the fees to a reasonable $ amount per year and enforce it.
You would triple the amount of $ coming in because you will have tripled the amount people registering there sleds.
Guess what you might even start seeing floods of Americans spending money in Canada.
Your trail system would then improve 10 fold and the businesses that rely solely on the snowmobilers and hunters would not have to shut down until spring.

In reality the structure of your system does not affect me and really shouldn’t bother me.
However, because I am a snowmobiler and view this sport as a “Family Sport” It would be irresponsible of me not to at least throw some information out there that may help another fellow snowmobiler.

Take a look at the Wisconsin Dnr site and the www.awsc.org snowmobile association for some helpful information that you could take to your administrators.

good luck

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
That cost isn’t even justifiable.[/b]
The OFSC has had to deal in the past w/ increases in their insurance policy. I asked @ my club's AGM last year what the percentage of trail permit cost was put towards insurance now as to back in the early 90s when I was on the club executive. I don't recall the figures, but I'm going to say that the % has tripled.

If people would take responsibility for their actions, the OFSC wouldn't have to deal w/ lawsuits.

Also, people seem to think if the permit price was dropped that a gazillion sleds that previously weren't permitted would appear. Does anyone know how many registered sleds there are in the province?

100,000 sleds x $180 = 18,000,000 (gross revenue) for the OFSC

Divide this amount by the trail system, 45,000 klicks = $400 per kilometer of trail

I have no idea how much a club spends per year (trail construction & clearing, signage, equipment, gas, repairs, wages in some cases) on a kilometer of trail.

Any reduction in the permit price has to be revenue neutral. In other words, if the OFSC were to cut the price, there had better be a proportional increase in permit sales. Otherwise, the revenues will decrease.

Also, w/ the matrix for trail funding, clubs that sell a lot of permits, but don't have a lot of expenses turn in more of the permit price than those club's that have high expenses & don't sell a lot of permis, keep more of the permit price. So the permit revenue is spread around.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
My trail permit for Michigan is only $25.00 for the year. I know you will not hear me complain whatsoever.
richard

1 - 20 of 42 Posts