Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys that check out the trail reports online find them accurate(when updated)? The last few times I was out in different area's of the province,the reported conditions were way off. I'm finding(of course...) word of mouth is still the best.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Good question morocco_mole... let me fill you in on how the ofsc site get updated for trail conditions. Each snowmobile club has a representative in the club that reports to a person in thier district that is in charge of updating the ofsc site for that district( in this case thats me ). Sounds simple enough ...right ? No   In district 5 we have appx. 30 clubs some belong to an Assc..This gives us 12 separate  clubs and Assc. that need to report in . I realize that we are having a very poor winter here in the south but there is some clubs in this disrict that have not made a report all year. Each club is supposed to report in on wednesdays before 8pm . Supposed to is the key word, there is nothing making the club volunteers report to me or penalty if they don't. Some districts do a really good job on updating thier information others do not . There is definatly room for improvement in the system.    I hope this information helps you to understand how the reports are made and why they may be out of date. Rest asured if the information comes to me it is added to the site as soon as I get it .

Visit Canada's largest Snowmobiling Links Page :

Science Hill Drifters  S/C

·
Registered
752 Posts
No most of them weren't bad if the trails opened they told me but there is times that we get snow here and I wonder if things there have opened or closed . A weekly update from everyone would be nice just so I had some new information to add atleast once a week .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IndySKS,
Thanks for the info on how the trail updates work. I didn't think it would be that difficult to get updates from clubs. There should be some way to enforce it. I know it all depends on volunteers but how hard is it to call in a report weekly? My thanks to you and others that make the effort...

·
Registered
752 Posts
You would think it would be easy to get reports from the clubs . I just took over the job this year because I thought it needed to be looked after better. But with the winter we are having it is kinda hard to report on dirt conditions. Maybe next year we will actually have snow and I will be busy reporting everyday .

·
Registered
578 Posts
We watch the site www.trailconditions.com. This is a very active site for Ontario conditions. There are areas for US States and the Canadian Provinces.
I  post a question regarding conditions in the area we are thinking of riding and usually someone answers who has been up lately. I try and give a quick brief on the conditions we saw while out as well as any suggestions for parking, unloading etc. Clubs like the Science Hill Drifters and BW Trailblazers are always extremely helpful to us. For Ontario it is very active from southern Ontario all the way up to the far north.
I see alot of riders from Michigan and New York on the site as many of these areas have had poor snow conditions and are also travelling further than usual.
The OFSC site this year has had troubles with accurcacy I think mainly due to the wild swings we have had from our traditional winters. We almost went out on a few occasions that the OFSC said good to go only to find out that the conditions had changed before the updates were posted and the trails were un-ridable. We have to remember that the volunteers doing the updates have active lives outside of this and it isn't always possible to keep on top especially when they may not of had time to get out themselves.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to help out their fellow riders, volunteers make out sport what it is today. Remember that when the trail is a little rough or missing a marker the people doing the work are just as busy as everyone else and maybe it is a sign you should try and volunteer.

Have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I dont understand why some trail reports take so long to update.  But i find them pretty accurate but they should have a scale 1 to 10 not just good, limited, and closed.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I don't put a lot of faith in the OFSC reports. I try to get in touch with someone in the area. I'll talk to my parents the same day a report for Apsley is posted. The OFSC report will say limited. The folks will say the trails were great and they don't exaggerate.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Calling a motel is iffy at best. With the so so conditions in northern Ontario, I was working on a plan A & B. When I called the Apollo in Kap, they said the snow was OK and the club had checked the river crossing at the mill & it was safe. When I called the Wheel Inn at New Liskeard & initially booked a room (An aside looks like a dump), they said they had a foot and a half. When we got to the Quality Inn up there, they were lucky if they had a foot on the ground. The woman I spoke to with the Tri-Town club more or less prepared me for that fact.

I try to call or check the web and get a contact with someone involved with a club. I think they have a lot of goodwill to lose if they aren't straight up on the trail situation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts