8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which oil do you use

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Amsoil for 2000km in my Mach Z.

Castrol for 8000km in my MXZ.

The Mxz Rave valves have never been cleaned and i just checked them.  Castrol is a very clean oil but has a strong smell that you either like or hate.  

I rate Amsoil and Castrol Syntec very high.  Have had very good luck with both of them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Bombardiers brand name oil. only have 4500 km on the sled but it works great for me.
i have my raves cleaned every year but they really don't need it.
I also have the engine aligned and have the carbs and clutches cleaned every year.
Helps when the first good snow comes. less chance of not getting to ride on it.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Amsoil, for the last 2 years, with no problems.
For the price and availability, you can't go wrong.

FishHog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Klotz -1500 miles in my 2002 MXZ 700, and 500 miles on my wife's 2001 Formula Deluxe 600.  Rave's look great, and it smells soooo good!

·
Registered
756 Posts
AMSOIL has given me excellent results for two years

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used Amsoil for 2 years now too. Last winter while on a week trip the guys following me complained about the smell, but that was after I had to use the Ski-doo synthetic. I've had the sister in law complain about the Amsoil too.  

Has anyone else had complaints when using Amsoil?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Amsoil 2000 in everything.  Its kinda pricy... but not when you consider the cost of your investments.  OK OK investments is not the right word.....

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Ski-Doo synthetic.  No problems!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would rather have people complain about the smell of amsoil then have them laugh at me because my engine is seized.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Me too.

The first ride I took this year, I was following my buddy, and noticed the smell from his Amsoil.  Figured I just wasn't used to it.  But 60km later, when his oil light came on, we realized his oil pump was stuck wide open, and he burnt 4 L of amsoil in 60km's.  Once we fixed that, I never noticed it again.

FishHog

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm true to the Ski-Doo brand 2-Stroke Oil.  It seems to work very well.  Like I said beforem why change a good thing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not all oils are the same nor is the OEM oil(s) best for every engine type and size. I have seen many Polaris fans which did not like (they carbon) the current (blue) Polaris oil although the 340s seem to run very clean with it. I think the previous red Polaris oil was better for fan cooled engines while it was maybe not quite as good for the liquid cooled.

I have run both Cabela's Signature TC-W3 in one 488 fan (14,500 miles) and Citgo Premium outboard in other 488s with very good wear and engine cleanliness. The newer versions of Pennzoil: Premium Multi-Purpose outboard and their Snowmobile seem also to be good oils. Oil and gasoline deposits probably do more  damage to engines than any lubrication failures. I think it is worth watching for that and correcting it by fixing any oil rate problems or switching to oils which are better suited to a particular engine. Bad oils are harder to find than good ones. Some just aren't as well suited to certain engines than others.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found that after a 1000 miles of running Castrol regular oil, there was a lot of carbon on the face of the RAVE valves and they were almost stuck in the cylinder. With the Amsoil, the valves are still nice and free to slide.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts