Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone know how much oil my 1998 XCR 600 triple triple should be consuming? Right now I fill the oil resivore and get 1 tank of gas (about 90-100 miles depending on how I'm riding) before i need to fill up on oil again. To me this seems excessive, or is this normal for a triple??

The machine seems to smoke a lot even after warm up. The other day i was ridding and it seemed as though i was only running on 2 cylinders. My acceleration was very poor and top speed seemed to be about 60 MPH. I got on a long straight stretch and was able to crack it open enough to where all cylinders were firing again and i got my power back. I stayed heavy on the throttle until I got home and checked the plugs and there was some dry carbon fouling on 2 of the 3 plugs. There was black oil on the tops of the spark plug holes, and I could also see carbon on the tops of the pistons.

I am heading on a trip to nothern Wisc/MI soon and dont want this to be happening on the trail. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Polaris Fan

"JUST PUNCH IT"

·
Registered
252 Posts
i had the exact problem with my triple. mine is a xlt 580 but same pricipal.all my problem was i had 1 plug wire coming lose on the plug boot.i would start there,i was also using alot of oil and only had full power when it was wide open. i changed all my plug boots problem gone,now i get 2 tanks of fuel to 1 tank of oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the oil cable broke or unhooked?[/b]
Last year installed new throttle cable since cable to one of the carbs broke. I just double checked, and the throttle seems to be operating the spring arm on the oil pump below the carbs.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
In a perfect world, we'd be using a quart of oil for every 10 - 12 gallons of fuel we put in it (40:1 - 50:1). Roughly a quart every 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had the exact problem with my triple. mine is a xlt 580 but same pricipal.all my problem was i had 1 plug wire coming lose on the plug boot.i would start there,i was also using alot of oil and only had full power when it was wide open. i changed all my plug boots problem gone,now i get 2 tanks of fuel to 1 tank of oil.[/b]
-Thanks for the quick reply
dose changing of the boots require all new plug wires??

How much$$/ time to change boots?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In a perfect world, we'd be using a quart of oil for every 10 - 12 gallons of fuel we put in it (40:1 - 50:1). Roughly a quart every 100 miles or so.[/b]
So maybe its not using too much oil. When i go on snowmobile trips with other friends Im the only one that rides a triple, and it seems that Im the only one that has to carry extra oil, or worry about how much i have left.

·
Registered
252 Posts
changing your boots does not cost very much at all i paid 6.75 each for the ngk boots i bought canadian funds.you do not have to change wires(AT LEAST I DIDN'T).all i did was strip an 8th of an inch off and just left a very small amount of the wire sticking out of the rubber coating. i doo mean small amount,just enough for the screw inside the boot to bit into the wire.it was a 15 minute job.i change them all as i figured for the little money it cost,and my thought was if 1 broke they all are getting weak.now my sled runs better then ever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dose anyone know how much oil my 1998 XCR 600 triple triple should be consuming? Right now I fill the oil resivore and get 1 tank of gas (about 90-100 miles depending on how I'm riding) before i need to fill up on oil again. To me this seems excessive, or is this normal for a triple??

The machine seems to smoke a lot even after warm up. The other day i was ridding and it seemed as though i was only running on 2 cylinders. My acceleration was very poor and top speed seemed to be about 60 MPH. I got on a long straight stretch and was able to crack it open enough to where all cylinders were firing again and i got my power back. I stayed heavy on the throttle until I got home and checked the plugs and there was some dry carbon fouling on 2 of the 3 plugs. There was black oil on the tops of the spark plug holes, and I could also see carbon on the tops of the pistons.

I am heading on a trip to nothern Wisc/MI soon and dont want this to be happening on the trail. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Polaris Fan

"JUST PUNCH IT"[/b]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Polaris Fan, I own the same snowmobile as you and that is what mine uses also. This was Polaris' solution for the left crank bearing failures on earlier models, they just added an extra oil line to the left crank bearing...Also be aware if your sled has 3000 miles or more you will be needing a new water pump, as I was told this is common, mine went at 3200 miles, also be very weary of steering rod ball joints as I had one break, lucky for me I was doing about 10 mph at the time!!! Thought this was going to be a good late season ride with all the snow and cold but I have been down waiting for parts for the water pump, only rode 15 miles when it went, sorry for the lengthy whine session, but I will be switching to the Yamaha 4 Stroke, hope this helps a little....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts