Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 800 REV sport yesterday. Dealer said Ski-Doo might not honor the engine warranty if they discovered (via an oil sample) that I wasn't using bombardier oil. He said it was up to me but I shouldn't take a chance at voiding my warranty by using a different oil. I have about 4 cases of Motul SnowPower 2T (a synthetic blend). Do you think I should have any problems? Will Ski-Doo honor the warranty? Anyone else using Motul? If so how do you like it?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I have read in US magazines that the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) prohibits this kind of threat. Contact your state/province consumer protection agency and see what they say about this.

·
Registered
310 Posts
like someone else said, the only way they can make you use their oil is if the supply it to you.  no cost.

·
Registered
147 Posts
All manufactuters have a spec for their oil.Right in the owners manual it states"IF BOMBARDIER INJECTION OIL IS NOT AVAILABLE,API TC HIGH QUALITY ASHLESS TWO-STROKE INJECTION OIL MAY BE USED".The standards for synthetic are"ASTM and JSO".I'd run a few tanks of bomber oil then switch it over.

·
Registered
190 Posts
KlJ...I've posted this before..The day you hear that Bombardier found oil in Quebec, that's the day you may consider using their Brand of Oil.  If it's TCW 3, that's all you need.  Besides most of oil brands have a warranty that guarantees that they pay if it can be proven it was their product that was at fault.  If you already purchased 4 cases of semi-syn, you're already ahead of the game.  Did you get a good deal?

·
Registered
692 Posts
that cant be true!! if a dealer pushed that on me they would be keeping the sled!!! thats a dealer trying to sell oil. pushy salesmen no need for them!! thats B.S id call someone on that dealer, how many others just buy the oil from him?
sounds like a dill doe to me!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
These guys are right, the ther are two ways they can require you to use their oil....1) they give it to you free, 2) no other product meets their requirements besides their oil and they have to furnish you with the specs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. You guys confirmed what I already believed.

Bogie,

I bought the stuff last year with 2 for 1 coupons...so basically it was half price. It was a promotion by Motul to try and get some market share in Manitoba. Motul is a big European company that sponsors some Moto GP teams. I figured they were reputable so I bought the stuff. I had no problems using it last year in my ZR800 so I had planned to use it this year in my REV 800.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Bogie, I see by your avatar you're a Thunderbirds fan. Check www.thunderbirdsonline.com (Corey,don't worry it's not a snowmobile website)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Revrnd, You just gave away your age....I couldn't resist after seeing my buddy Zog's avatar. He could only be topped with a ThunderBird member.  Oh the old days, ThunderBirds then Fireball XL5.....

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
API TC is not the same as API TCW 3, the tc is a aircooled spec and is a more "correct" oil to be using than the tcw3 watercooled outboard oil.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
We were looking at the website earlier this week
Brains ROTFLMAO. Maybe I should have him as my avatar seeing as I seem to have a comment on most topics

We also found websites for House of Frightenstein & Forest Rangers.  
Some people have WAYYYY too much time on their hands

The guys from the States will wonder what the #### are those 2 talking about?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Revrnd.....We must be close to the same age.  Those shows are classics.  Be my guest, Brains was my second pick for the Avatar...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Kids shows that were seen on Canadian TV in the late 60s early 70s.

Thunderbirds were puppets that ran a rescue team.

Hilarious House of Frightenstein was sort of a take off on Dracula & Frankenstein

Forest Rangers were teenagers that lived in northern Ontario (supposedly, actually was shot just north of Toronto)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
XNY-556 B for Bob, calling XNY-556 A for Apple...do you read me?  

The Game Warden on the Forest Rangers was the BEST!!  He could fly helicopters and float planes while choking down smugglers, poachers and that guy that robbed the general store.

Igor from Frightenstein was my role model.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts