Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 700 rmk.the dealer told me to add a qt of oil to the gas tank for break in.... is this S0P? This is my first polaris and i have never done this on the yammies.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think a quart is too much. I thought it was only a couple of ounces. You run them slightly rich for the first tank too help get the rings and such to seat. When I worked at a Polaris shop we would send them out with oil already in the gas. We didn't make the customer do it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Polaris owners maual says to premix the first tank of gas with one pint of polaris injection oil for each five gallons of fuel. So a quart would  be fine.  If you have an owners maual they have  a section on engin break-in that you could refer to.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Does anyone run oil in their gas, even though you have oil injection?  I was told to run some oil in my gas just incase the oil injection would quit, it might console your engine till your temp light would come on, so now i run about 1/2 a liter to a liter in my gas all the time.  Is this bad for my sled, it doesn't seem to affect teh performance, but i do foul plugs quicker, nothing major, but a pain all the same.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have added oil in the tank on my 81 pantera for years.I had put a bigger carb on it and was afraid it would run to lean.I have never had a prob other than plugs

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
From what i have heared thats usually a waste of time, because the small amount of oil you would put in your gas you wouldent save it anyhow, but i know i used to add oil in the tank of some of the older machines i had because like the you guys said it wont hurt, only you would smut up a few more plugs. but when i broke in the new engine in my mxz i never added oil.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
One pint of petro based oil for the first tank and that's it.
One of the best things you can do to your new engine is to vary your speeds and let the engine cool down 2-3 times also dont load the engine.
I wonder how mountain guys break in a new sled?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts