Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 MXZ 670 that is leaking a little bit of oil from the overflow. The sled runs great, starts great, etc..........anyone have any ideas on what this? Someone suggested it could be the seals on the oil pump and this small leak may seal up when seals swell (the sled hasn't run for a couple of years). They also said this wouldn't do any harm to sled if I continue to run it.

Also, would a sticky RAVE valve blow rings?

Thx all
HenBen

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
What do you mean by the "Overflow" and no a sicking RAVE won't hurt your rings.
BTW.. Welcome

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by the "Overflow" and no a sicking RAVE won't hurt your rings.
BTW.. Welcome[/b]
It is a hole at the bottom of the motor right under where the rad hose connects to the motor (right-hand side near muffler). It actually looks like a bolt should be in there.........not sure if this is an overflow, but oil is dripping out........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a hole at the bottom of the motor right under where the rad hose connects to the motor (right-hand side near muffler). It actually looks like a bolt should be in there.........not sure if this is an overflow, but oil is dripping out........[/b]
This hole is actually threaded, so I am not really sure if this is even an overflow or why this oil is dripping from there.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thx
HenBen

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If that hole is directly underneath the engine inline with the coolant pump then its a weep hole to prevent coolant from a leaky coolant pump seal from finding its way into the accessory drive cavity (houses the helical gear driven 90 degrees off the crankshaft for the rotary valve & coolant pump). In your motor the cavity side seal must be leaking. Time to pull the rotary valve shaft out and replace the 3 seals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If that hole is directly underneath the engine inline with the coolant pump then its a weep hole to prevent coolant from a leaky coolant pump seal from finding its way into the accessory drive cavity (houses the helical gear driven 90 degrees off the crankshaft for the rotary valve & coolant pump). In your motor the cavity side seal must be leaking. Time to pull the rotary valve shaft out and replace the 3 seals.[/b]
Thx for the feedback, Thumbdoctor. It sounds like we talking about the same hole, but it's actually oil coming out and not coolant.........do you still think it's the cavity seals that are causing problems here.

Thx again
HenBen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for the feedback, Thumbdoctor. It sounds like we talking about the same hole, but it's actually oil coming out and not coolant.........do you still think it's the cavity seals that are causing problems here.

Thx again
HenBen[/b]
Any response on this, Thumbdoctor? If this hole is leaking oil vs coolant, would it be the same seals gone?

Thx
HenBen

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Any response on this, Thumbdoctor? If this hole is leaking oil vs coolant, would it be the same seals gone?

Thx
HenBen[/b]
Yes its probably the rotary valve drive seals leaking oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes its probably the rotary valve drive seals leaking oil.[/b]
Thx for the info..............is it going to hurt the engine in any way running this a couple of hundred miles or will it just use a little more oil than usual...........kids want to drive it, but I want to make sure nothing will go wrong.

As usual, your feedback is greatly appreciated.
HenBen

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
That depends on how much oil is leaking.. If its only seeping slowly, keep the reservoir full and carry spare oil in the trunk. The seal may even correct itself (rust on the shaft). The big question is "Did it ever run low or empty it the sled's past ?". That may have damaged the brass helical drive gear inside the crank case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That depends on how much oil is leaking.. If its only seeping slowly, keep the reservoir full and carry spare oil in the trunk. The seal may even correct itself (rust on the shaft). The big question is "Did it ever run low or empty it the sled's past ?". That may have damaged the brass helical drive gear inside the crank case.[/b]
Makes perfect sense, as it was leaking a lot more before the kids drove it for 30 miles........I will drive it again a couple of times to see if the leak completely stops.........and no, I am pretty anal about keeping oil full before taking sled out.

As usual, thx for the good info.
HenBen

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
Mine has been leaking for years.. It is going to get taken care of in the offseason. there are 2 seals, you will replace both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine has been leaking for years.. It is going to get taken care of in the offseason. there are 2 seals, you will replace both.[/b]
Good stuff...........I think I will do the same and let kids ride it for this year and take care of replacing seals after winter.

Thx for the feedback.........I just wanted to make sure this wouldn't harm anything in the engine.
HenBen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts