Snowmobile World banner

Oil light?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tb2 
#1 ·
Yesterday I took my '97 mxz 583 for a little ride when I noticed that my oil light will come on when I give it some throttle. The machine has plenty of oil in it. I am wondering if the light comes on because my pump is not giving enough oil. Is this just a matter of making a adjustment. I know how you are suppose to setup up your carbs and than take the slack out and than algin the marks on the casting and the lever. If anyone has any suggestions?

#2 ·
As far as I know the oil light only comes on when oil level gets low. I have the sled as you and when there is 1/3 of a tank of oil or sometimes more, when you accelarate the oil sloshes back and the sensor picks up a signal of low oil. I think if you just top up your oil and try it again the problem should go away.

#3 ·
Oil light will come on for 2 reasons. First being low on oil. Inside the oil tank is a float with contacts on the bottom which rides on a stem that has another set of contacts at its base. Once your oil level drops enough for the float to touch both sets of contacts the electric curcuit is complete and the light comes on. It has nothing to do with your oil pump. A float with a hole in it will sink in the oil and touch. Look on the bottom of your tank and you will see 2 wires. They are for your oil level wiring. Are they touching? Unplug 1 or both to break the curcuit and try the machine. This will take the float out of the system helping you figure it out.
 The other cause for the light to come on is whenever you apply the brake. It is a self check for the light built in to let you know its working.
 Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.