Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my 94 ZR700 (carbureted) engine rebuild. I have a Clymer book which says "Attach the oil line to the crankcase and to each cylinders injection fittings". This manual lists all sleds for 1994 (except the 700's!) - some injected, some carbed. When I took the crankcase out and removed the oil pump I see no line going to the cranckase from the oil pump. So this makes me wonder, how does the crankcase get oil? Does oil drip down off the pistons? Or what? I don't want to overlook something here after spending money for pistons, etc and with snow on the way. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Your engine must be getting it's oil only through the intake airstream. That is a system that works well on many engines since the air and fuel is drawn into the crankcase before it is transfered to the cylinders anyway. What it does is coat everything with a fine mist of oil which means there is a constant film of oil on everything down there. (Some engines use - and need- a separate oil line to the main bearings.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your engine must be getting it's oil only through the intake airstream. That is a system that works well on many engines since the air and fuel is drawn into the crankcase before it is transfered to the cylinders anyway. What it does is coat everything with a fine mist of oil which means there is a constant film of oil on everything down there. (Some engines use - and need- a separate oil line to the main bearings.)[/b]
Thanks for the reply. I just want to be sure I don't overlook anything when I put it all back together. I saw in a post about pistons that they have to be aligned properly. I bought 2 SPI pistons for my engine. Which way is the dot on the top supposed to face? (Theres no arrow, just a dot on the top of the piston.)

·
10,054 Posts
dot on mine faces the exhaust side,,, but on mine, my exhaust and intake are on the same side.
For your oil lines,,, you should have 2 lines coming out of the oil pump,,, but I assume they go to your carb flanges,,, will post a diagram for you.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Typically, the ring end gaps ( and therefore the ring end locating pins) face away from the exhaust ports. That is a "common sense" rule which can help you in not having to deal with which way the piston crown marks need to point.

Usually the piston manufacturer will specify which way the crown marks need to go if you care about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts