Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought this sled. the previous owner told me the oil pump doesn't work any longer so he was running pre mix in both the fuel tank and the oil tank. the oil light is always on.

so i am wondering if i should get the auto oiler fixed or should i continue to run pre mix
thanx for all the help

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Either get the autolube working or adjust your carb jetting richer to offset the lean mixture caused by pre mixing.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Do you stll have the oil tank in the sled or did he take it off ? The pump unit assy. is $124 dollars and is well worth it if are going to ride alot. The pump is designed when it goes bad its to stay full open unlike the old models , in theory of course .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took the sled into the dealer
the told me that the sending unit in the tank for the light was faulty
they recommended that i use pre mix gas and
put premix in both the fuel tank and the oil tank
because then the oil pump still gets lube

we will see how it works

·
Registered
496 Posts
So they wany you to fill the oil container with oil . Run the sled with a pre mix 50:1 .

If the oil pump works arent you going to be running alittle rich , like alot rich .

·
Registered
496 Posts
Or are they having you do that to bleed out the oil pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think they want me to do that so that the oil pump still gets so lubrication of some sort
and not running dry like if i disabled the tank

·
Registered
496 Posts
So they want you to run gas and oil in the oil tank ? What else did they tell you ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gas in the oil tank and oil in the gas tank...sounds like the start of something good!

Is the oil tank vented? Might not be a good idea having an unvented tank full of gas next to the motor.

If the oil pump is working then I'd use it; if you suspect it's going to crater in the near future then get rid of the lube system and mix. I've got a 95 Phazer II on which I removed the mixing system, including the tank, and run pre-mix gas. I carry a mix measuring bottle (Cdn Tire). I mix at 32:1. Smokes like a ^%$&& until it gets warmed up then it's the same as it was.

I did not adjust jets and I have the check plugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
not sure of the older Phasers but I'm quite sure the water cooled tripples and twins have direct oil lines from the fuel pump to the crank bearings (bottom of case)... oil from the oil pump is pumped to the fuel pump to mix with fuel for combustion and lube the bearing s directly with straight 2 cycle oil.... If you choose to premix and do away with the auto oiling, you may be omitting critical direct lubrication to the crank and bearings....

Buy an oil pump and get it working like Yamaha engineered it... may save you headaches later... my 2 cents

·
Registered
208 Posts
The oil pump dumps oil into the carb boots down wind of the carbs (between carbs and reeds) on the Phazer.

I had my oil injection system removed by a Yamaha dealership and have 1000km's on it since.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The oil pump pumps oil into the fuel pump . Its metered by your throttle ,the cable runs to your oil pump and this is were you can make your adjustments. The lower case is lubed by the intake charge of gas oil mix. When the piston is on the up stroke it pulls open the reeds sending a charge to the lower case .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts