Snowmobile World banner

Oil Pump

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  michahicks 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if its alright to turn down my 99 XCR 800's oil pump,and if so how much can I go without worrying about puking it. I'd rather buy oil than pistons but I'm tired of using a gallon of oil in one weekend. It seems to use almost 2 qts in 200 miles. Is this right or should it use less? Any serious answers would help. Thanks and THINK SNOW!!!

#2 ·
I dont know the doesent sound like its using to much but im not a mechanic.......................................................... .................................................................................................................. :withstupid:

#4 ·
I just took in my 99 xcr 700 for an oil restrictor recall. They are putting something in the oil line to make the I.D. smaller. I am hoping this will help will oil consumption :) . I just bought it this year from a friend of mine, so I know it went through alot of oil. Maybe your 800 has the same recall on it. I would check with your dealer.

#6 ·
Ok, we're looking for a 50/1 ratio (true for any sled). My machine is a twin to yours, and averages around 10 mpg. So in 120 miles, we'll burn about 12 gallons. At a 50/1 ratio, we should have used a quart of oil at this point. You're using more than that (yours was due for the quart at only 100 miles), so you can easily lean your pump down safely.

This takes some messing around, especially on the 800,
but is well worth the hassle if you plan on having it for a while.

AL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.