Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...
Getting to know my sled a little more and questions are coming to mind. First one is how long should the tank of oil on my "new" 2001 Grand Touring 600 last? It's almost full right now.
I'd like to almost drain and start refilling with Ams or another synthetic.
Thanks for the help!

PS: What a blast!!! Rode her to work today (gotta love commuting in the north). Of course took the LOOOONGGGG way home....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Should last for at least two full tanks of gass...I do not like to wait that long so fill me up at the end of the day.

If you mix the oils, try a small amount of each in a container first to make sure they are compatible and will not seperate. ( they should combine with each other )

·
Registered
900 Posts
you should use around 1 quart of oil for every 50 litres of fuel..just over a tank full..i believe most oil tanks hold around 3 quarts so somewhere around 3 1/2 to 4 tanks of fuel..give or take

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
:withstupid:

You want about a 50:1 mix overall.

I wouldn't worry about mixing oils, but the test Boondock suggested will ensure you won't have a problem

FishHog

·
Registered
664 Posts
I try to never let mine go past half full. Usually half a resevoir gets me about 200+ miles or so.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Its a good idea to carry a spare litre of oil on board if you can find the room. When you go for a nice 15 hour "jaunt" through the whole province, that oil will come in handy!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Agree with above posts.

If you want maximum time between RAVE cleaning, stick with Bombardier mineral oil!

Sounds crazy, but it will keep things cleaner than synthetic oil, and it's cheaper too!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I like to run 100-125 miles per quart. Lot of guys run 150-200 per quart but are living on borrowed time IMO. My Skidoo holds over 4 quarts so 4-500 miles in one day is not going to happen to me! Carrying extra oil is just adding more weight to the sled in my book......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any setting or adjustments for oil delivery on the pump at all? Or does it just feed depending on how much gas is consumed?
TIA

·
Registered
46 Posts
The optimum is 50:1. So, 1 litre of oil for every 50 litres of gas. 1 gallon of oil for 50 gallons of gas, 1 quart of oil for every 12.5 gallons of gas, etc....

A bit rich is good! Usually come from the factory a bit rich. Maybe 1 litre of oil to 40 litres of gas.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I could not agree more! Oil, contrary to popular belief doesn't hurt anything -- as my mechanic says -- "Oil is cheap, cranks are not".

The oil pump is under your carbs.. just tighten the cable adjuster so it is open MORE than stock. There are lines to give you a starting point for adjustment, but I ignore them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If its 50 -1 than every 5o litres of gas 1 litre of oil (Canadian version)or every 19 gallons of gas you will need a quart (american version)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts