Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious what u guys use for oil.i got a 99(name) dont have the VES or nothign bend running synethic gold from polaris seems pretty good.not to pricey at 25.00 a gallon but wish i could find something maybe a little bit better,and also may burn better with a little less consumption. So how is the Amsoil,or klutz i think it is or any others..what are ur opinons.-INDY

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've run Cabelas Signature Semi-Synthetic in my 97 Trail RMK. It has been very clean running oil and given good engine protection. At around 13,000 miles I finally went through the engine assuming that there msut be significant wear even though it still ran fine and compression was good. What I discovered was a bit of carbon on the pistons which I wiped off with a bit of solvent. There was some carbon built up in the exhaust manifold which needed to be scraped out. The rings showed .020" gap (.004" over max) so I replaced them. I was thinking that I'd probably need to bore oversize replacing the pistons as I did but the cylinders still showed hone marks nearly everywhere so I left everything else alone save for the gaskets and seals which I also replaced.

I realize that Cabelas oil is not generally considered by snowmobilers but I had run it in my outboards and had compared its cold temp flow to other oils often considered to be more specifically snowmobile oils and it compared well there. It seemed to be as good as any and better than some in the outboard and it has done well in the snomachine also even down to below -40 F. You don't need to spend $40 or even $20 a gallon to get good oils but I'm sure the manufacterers love it when we do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I been running Amsoil for 3 years now and I like the stuff , though nothing smells like Klotz . I have a buddy who runs it and you can tell as the sled goes by what oil hes running . But 27.00 a gallon ? I dont know , I have bought Amsoil for less than 20 a gallon ,,,,

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run the AmsOil series 2000 synthetic racing oil at  $22.50 per gallon for my V.E.S. engine. When I have checked the valves at 500 miles they were very clean.  For your machine the AmsOil synthetic injector oil at $13.00 per gallon would work.  If you are interested in becoming a preferred customer for AmsOil feel free to email me at [email protected] by becoming a preferred customer you can buy the oil at dealers cost and have it shipped to your home direct from AmsOil.

·
0 Posts
I run polaris oil in my 500.. ive tried others i dont like the way it runs on amsoil or torco and it burns a really weird smell...but thats just me!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use the amsoil blue in all my sleds and have never had a problem !5 years and running, I have never had a problem with my power valves like the oil manufactures claim I would!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This year Klotz, in both machines 600mi. so far power valves look like new.
Last year Polaris VES, 600mi. had to soak and scrap power valves looked like hell.  Switched to Klotz. 1800mi. with Klotz still clean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts