Registered
4,869 Posts
yes it will work

Your main concern should be the pour point

-40f is more or less the standard for sleds

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO you should buy the highest quality oil you can, when you compare costs oil is a lot cheaper than a motor job

·
Registered
79 Posts
agreed, there are no savings to be had by buying lesser grade oils.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
but is there an advantage

I doubt there is that much of an advantage

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would only use an outboard oil if it was semi-synthetic. I prefer to use a JASO (FC) rated oil. I doubt that Wal-Mart's outboard oils are either. If you compare the test specs of some of the name brand two-stroke oils, you'll see that Citgo Sea & Snow ranks high. It's a very good oil at an economical price. It has proven itself in both of our 'Cats which have over 15,000 miles between them, as well other machines which total over 30,000 miles on them. I am not a "spend more, get more" guy. OTOH, I do believe in buying high quality.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bought some Arctic Blue (no relation to Arctic Cat) oil for my cats last winter. Tried to top off
the oil tanks at -10F. Stuff didn't even pour. Started to come out in big glop when I squeezed the
jug. Didn't put it in. Not buying again. Important to check cold pour properties- don't know if they are published or if you have to check them out yourself the hard way like I did.

·
Registered
644 Posts
All of the major oil manufacturers- Phillips, Pennzoil, Citgo, and others - provide good info including tested properties under various conditions. Pour point is one of these. The trouble is trying to compare them to OEM stuff. The nice part is that many of the MAN label oils have tested very, very well and are perhaps well above the OEM oils in quality.

Especially as two-stroke motors become more and more tuned, I would either take the time to do research on a non-OEM oil before choosing one, or I'd just go with the machine manufacturer's recommendation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts