Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well the old STX 583 is just finally starting to look alittle old out on the trails ;), i'm looking for something newer.

What i'm interested in:

2001-2002 MXZ (X) 700 or 800's (prefarably 800) or 2003 Rev 600HO/800...

Cant quite afford anything newer than the '03 Rev.

What are your opinions on either of these sleds? Whats the better option? I'd rather go with the rev but i know the first years had alott of problems, but i think the zx chassis 800's did to.

Opinions on reliablitly, performance and gas mileage would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks alot-

Neil

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Neil,

I have rode a 01 MXZ 700 for the last 5 years. Never had one problem with it. It has nearly 8000 km on it and has not skipped a beat. Lots of power and not to bad on fuel. I get around 13 Miles per gallon. Not too bad I think. ZX Chassis is light years from your old STX but the REV is better. In my opinion a 700 ZX would be a good upgrade if ya don't wanna spend alot of $$$$.

I have heard a few problems with the 800's overheating in the ZX chassis.

Just my 2 cents though

PUD

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
come to the states, You can get an 05 800 mxz for around 4k usd with around 2k miles[/b]

Yea, what Matt said.
There's deals to be had there.
Well worth your trip.

Jeff

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2000 Formula Deluxe 700.

14000 km 0 engine problems. 700 mill is an excellent engine. You never hear many people bashing them for a reason. (except that there are faster 700's out there)

And to overstate the obvious, if you can afford it the rev chassis is a substantially better ride for most.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I have a 2000 Formula Deluxe 700.

14000 km 0 engine problems. 700 mill is an excellent engine. You never hear many people bashing them for a reason. (except that there are faster 700's out there)[/b]
only a few f-7's and such. with clutching the zx 700 is pretty hard to beat . can stay with most 800's in the zx, not up top if set up to run there. the formula's had more power in 2000's with the sand cast motor. I am not saying yours has one though. the 600ho in the rev will outrun the 700zx. it will out handle the zx. in the rough it really shines, cannot say this enough. if you encounter that often I say rev hands down your pic 600 or 800. the 03 600ho's had some ring issues if I remember correctly.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Spring for a Rev, but go for an 04. THe beavertail was a bad idea.[/b]
following one is nice. keeps dust down behind it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
:withstupid: Going from the F chassis to the Zx will be a great improvement, even more so to a Rev, but a Rev isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Welcome back!! Long time no see!! The 03 600 HO and 800 Revs had a few problems. Rings flaked on the 600s, the crank seal was prone to coming out on the 800s. Some of the 04 REV 600 HOs also had problems with the rings flaking. If the sleds have any type of mileage on them, these issues will more than likely be fixed. There is always the beaver tail delete kit for the 03, if you buy one this way, ask if it has the longer rear cooler. Some have reported some issues of over heating when the switched the beaver tail out. Dont be afraid to get a 550 REV either. they are really light and a fun sled. Not going to win any races on the lake but they are fun to play around on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts