Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there is alot of smart skidoo guys with mach z on here now give me a good anwser and be honest i dont want to install any jetting crap i just want to run stock carbs and have things adjusted right ok?i got a pretty much stock 2000 mach z installed the boyesen rad valves and i was told reeds make it run fat??is that true??then i thought ok my plugs are always black i will drop the needle i position did i do good or bad??how much does 1 notch change things?????i put the smaller piolit 45 in it so it will stop fouling plugs and last year it did not fouling plugs at idle and at very little speeds like 10 mph now it seems like it will drop a plug here and there at 1/2 throttle if im on the gas and off and back on alot,now will this needle change clean up my mid range or lean it out too far?????i have been running ngk br9es and the champion n2c and champion seems to last longer any reason and yes they are .018 gap

·
Registered
333 Posts
If your machine is stock you shouldnt have to do so much messing around.If it were mine id pull the reeds back out and try it.Dropping the pilots to 45 is the only thing that you should have to do to a stock mach,unless you are driving in Florida.If your not sure youd better take it to a dealer soon or you'll be changing pistons instead of jets.Ive worked on many at my shop and never had any trouble with mid range rich,something is wrong with something else.Ie needle and seat,float level etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see why people get upset now all you motor heads on here and no one can anwser me except for jon come on what is this site here for then? no one wants to help i gusss i wont be visiting again it was a simple question that someone has to know

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Originally posted by dwiedle@Nov 25 2002, 08:40 AM
i see why people get upset now all you motor heads on here and no one can anwser me except for jon come on what is this site here for then? no one wants to help i gusss i wont be visiting again it was a simple question that someone has to know
Hey relax man.
With that kind of attitude, we don't need you here anyway.

Ever think that some people aren't on here everyday. I myself haven't been on since Friday, as I had a busy weekend.

If you want good advice for free, you could show a little paitence.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I dont think one notch will put you in the red if last year you were running rich with stock reeds.

I think that you could drop the main jet a size or two and keep the needle clip where its at right now, After your first run if your running two lean put the needle back to stock setting. and run it with the new jets. You changed your pilots so that might also help.

I would like to help and give you the exact set up but the truth is that there are many varibles between where we ride such as altitude and also the way we ride. Somthing that works for me might be a meltdown for you, so your gonna have to play it by year and be carful.

But what about your oil pump setting. To me it sounds like your pumping a bit to much oil in the engine. That would explain the fouling plugs at 1/2 throttle. But then again im not sure.

For sparkplugs. I have had very poor luck with NGK, I never tried champions. I really loved splitfire platinums in my 500mxz but there useless in the Mach. I dont know why. I was suggested to try Super Bosch copper plugs from my dealer. He said that skidoo race teams use them becasue they resist fouling and moisture the best. I put them in and im still on the same set. Plus they cost the same as NGK. So im very happy with bosch. :D

And like mentioned above, If you ever get a funny feeling that your lean and your not sure run it to the dealer. That 809 engine in your sled is the most expencive engine in the doo cataloge running up to 3000+CDN dollars. Of coarse you would rebuild for cheaper but its still money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
easy there, this question has been answered 5 or 6 times already on this forum. There is no answer for your question, all motors run a little different, and you need to tell us what temp, and elevation you're runnning at and for what distance. If all you are doing is trail riding, you should have saved your money and left the sled stock if you don't know how to jet a sled, example I run a '99 MachZ with 280's across stock needle droped one, and 45 pilots, and its still on the rich side at 20 F. This motor has boyesen reeds, a base gasket/ head cut mod, and wiseco coated pistons. I also have a 97 with a stock motor running 400's across 50 pilots, and needle in stock position, and use a vari-flow to adjust jetting. Now will either of these work for you, probably not, but there both 809 machz's? As has been said many times already, ask boyesen what they are doing, then start at stock and work your way down, Now if you're adding pipes and other mods, you should posibly start higher than stock and work your way down. There is no shortcut to doing this right. My plug recommendation br9ecs in the 99, and br9iex in the '97. Neither of these sleds foul plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts