Snowmobile World banner

Old arctic cat won't start

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ballpark 
#1 ·
Hey, a friend brought up an old 70 somthing Jag, single carb, dual cylinder, premix, sled and we can't get the thing started.  We drained the gas and put in fresh stuff (properly mixed), changed the plugs, and pulled a thousand times. The head light comes on, but it seems like its getting no spark.  Like a kill switch is stuck on kill.  What should be my first steps twords getting this started. How can I test the spark?  This thing ran eariler this year, but at high speeds would bogg out and loose all power, if you waited a second and slowly accelerated you could get up to speed for awhile.  At the same time that it ran it was still really hard to start.  Maybe the carbs need cleaning?  Thanks for all your help in advance.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the start. First of all its a 1978 Jag Spirit 3000. I couldn't find the size of the engine but it said  bore and stroke are 60mm.  Its free air cooled.   Ok, when I seperated the 4 pin connector I had spark in both plugs. What is my next step. Thanks for the help!

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Hey sorry its been so long.  I have been really busy fixing my other sled but the other day I looked at the jag again.  Sprayed some wd-40 in the cylinders and it didn't do much, so I did it again but used a lot more this time.  It started!  Finally,  plugged the kill harness back together and it died.  Somthing was wrong with one of the swittches.  Oh, and when we shut it down, it was really hard to start again.  After looking more we found a hole in the gasket between the carb and the block.  So for an experiment, taped it up, and it started great.  Thanks for all your help!

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Hey sorry its been so long.  I have been really busy fixing my other sled but the other day I looked at the jag again.  Sprayed some wd-40 in the cylinders and it didn't do much, so I did it again but used a lot more this time.  It started!  Finally,  plugged the kill harness back together and it died.  Somthing was wrong with one of the swittches.  Oh, and when we shut it down, it was really hard to start again.  After looking more we found a hole in the gasket between the carb and the block.  So for an experiment, taped it up, and it started great.  Thanks for all your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.