Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

OK so I got Dad's old 70 Yamaha running and I'm gonna give it a good go over and I will have a nice vintage sled for lazy Sunday drives to the cafe for a hot chocolate....

But

I got another old 70 yamaha chasis with a seized motor. A guy I work with was wondering and I got thinking too, has anyone ever tried to put a new(er) slider suspention on an old bogey sled? The tunnel is there, the biggest fabrication should just be the front axel, right?

Or, further to that, how about a "hot rod" sled? An older model all pimped up(sorry for lack of a better word).

I am thinking of a 57 Chevy with a new Vette motor and disc brakes and A/C.

Just a 70 Yamaha with a new suspention and a really cool paint job.

I'm thinking it might be easier to just put the old hood on a newer sled.

BTW, the old sled is a GP 396, with the open carb's and the intake sticking out like a rockets into your lap.

Also, does anyone know of a vintage sled site that I might find interest in? I have spent some time on google but yet to find a forum for old sleds.

Thanks in advance and only about 6 monthes till the snow flies

Attachments

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Not sure of your purpose for doing the suspension conversion. If it's to take it around and show it, that's one thing, but if it is actually going to see some use, that's another. A better suspension is only going to take that sled from bad to worse. It won't turn with the suspension that's under it. Get a later suspension that has some decent traction, and you'll have a sled that is for straight line only.

Suggest that maybe fixing up to OEM specs. might be a better idea.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i would have to agree, keep it as original as possible. the carbs are know to the fellas i ride with as ball suckers lol.as far as parts just google it.i know there are a few sites based out of ontario.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts