Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 79 kawasaka 440 driffter and there is 1650 milse on it. is that alot. it is in running sape but not in top shape. were can i find a track and windshild for it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Old is when you get laughed at.  Or people dont take it seriously as a machine.  73 tnt.  OLD.  79 Getting there 83 MODERN 96 and up NEW.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Old doesn't mean much. I know a couple of old sleds (71, 73, 75, 76, 78) still running hard. The only difference is that they are slower and a bit less comfortable the the new ones (less comfortable is a slight understatement). I would even say that they are more reliable than some newer sleds. When my cousin entered in an open class ability race with his stock everest 444, some people were laughing at him but when he won 1 st place, that changed very quickely, some of those 800 twins and tripple guys were kinda pissed that a 800$ sled could beat the s*#t out of a 12 000 $ sled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
www.centralsnowmobile.com request a catalog from them. they usualy have parts for all that old stuff.

1600 miles is not alot, infact, thats very little especially for a sled that old.
new tracks are sort of expensive.. like $400 or so, so it may not be worth it for you to get one for that sled being that its so old.

- Jason

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya thats another thing. would it be worth it. the old track is in realy bad shape. all it needs is a track ind windsild. i dont NEED to go fast. im only 15 and short on money so when i get $12000 i will probly get a car.(they ride alittle easer in the summer). my brother got the driffter for $300 i think. and he gave it to me. and i dont think he wonts me to sell it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ride it til you blow the track off, imo.
than zip tie it back together

windshields are cheep, and you dont need one if you dont have the money. talk to your dad, he might put some $$ into it for ya for christmas, or something.

- Jason

·
Registered
278 Posts
f you looking for a track.  Try posting an ad on all the vintage classified sites asking for one.   Go to the link page at vsca.com and from there you can go to alot of vintage sites.  Also on Stump Jumpers classifieds there is a boneyard directory that might help you out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There is alot of us out there that love riding the old iron.  I got 6 vintage sleds and enjoy them to the max.  It's all about having fun.  You should sse the looks I get on the trails with these sleds.  Anything from thumbs up to what is it?  I myself wouldn't trade them for the world.  Got a few newer sleds, but seem to alays come back to the vintage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
there realy is no such thing as to old if it runs and you like to ride it than its not old unlike the new sleds that anybody can ride it takes skill to ride vintage sleds takeum in a corner hard on one ski lean way out land it what a rush get some air on that big  incline so what if it lands like a bug on the windshield thats the fun of ridin to me and im not as young as i used to be [44 bad back weak knees and alot of sore body parts] but im going to ride them until i cant get anybody to strap my old butt on them and when that day comes will one of you guys come put me out of my misery rideum till they just wont go no mo

·
Registered
555 Posts
Go to the salvage yard. I seen a 2001 ZR that had 1200 miles on it, a torn track, bent rails, no winshield and a crushed hood. I would say that qualifies as old. It is broken and beat to hell, and there are 2003's on display already.

Mine is a rebuilt 98, so that one WAS old, or is it still old? It's technically 5 years OLD now.

I guess it just depends on who you are talking with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts