Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well without going into how i got myself into this, ill just say that yesterday i was going through a swamp and got myself into a spot where my sled was totally submerged and was left there for 20 minutes under the swampy stinky black water till i could get help to pull it out.

It was freezing outside so i brought it into my garage that isnt heated =(, and took the airbox and carberators off, then pulled the sparkplugs and tried to get some of the water and muck out of the engine by flushing it with cleaner water.

My problem is im not sure what other things i should do before i get this running again, my fuel tank is full of muddy water and im just not sure what i should do other than clean the carbs flush out the cylinders, drain the fuel tank, put it back togather and run it again.

I just bought this sled 2 days ago too. omg!

Its a 1991 ski-doo mach 1

anyone know what i can do to make sure i dont mess something up?

thanks alot

Zagg

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would guess that the whole engine needs to be torn down, but I may be wrong.

Sorry to hear about your sled.  I had a '94 Mach 1 and I can imagine how fun that thing must have been to get out of the water.  I nicknamed mine "The Old Boat Anchor".  

Do you happen to have any pictures of your journey into the deep unknown?

-Josh

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Check oil tank for water.
remove seat, remove seat cover, dry out seat foam. if it's really soaked you can sandwich it between a couple of pieces of plywood and run over it with you car no, joke , wings it out good! Give it a good greasing. If you gauges are wet you have to dty them out. Don't waste any time get it running sooner the better.  Have fun

·
Registered
692 Posts
a friend of mine did it in a pond i will check and see what did! all of your fluids need to be changed
what you should do is get oil in there to stop RUST keep pulling with spark plugs OUT! you will now when toi add oil. all electrical needs to be checked. i hope you hit the kill b/4 it went down.
that should keep you going till i ask him!
OIL  OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL GET IT IN THERE

·
Registered
95 Posts
The longer you wait till it runs , the more chance of rust forming on the bearings. I watch some water skippers go under but they pull it out, remove spark plugs, pump the clyinders till they quit spitting water,primer it with fuel and then start it up to get the oil back into the engine. How did you get water in the fuel tank With the cap on ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would do everything that has been said and also take the cyls off and hose the bottom end(crank, bearings, etc) down with WD-40.  Be sure to take the case plugs out to let all that nasty oil/water/dirt drain out the bottom of the case.  Just an idea.
Hope you get it going.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my cap has a crack where it was closed it too tight =(, if i ride it hard sometimes gas leaks out , buying a new one this week.

·
Registered
442 Posts
a couple years ago i sunk my sled in the U.P. crossing this snow bridge, it was spring of the year about 45 degrees out and the snow bridge collapsed beneith me and my sled and the sled was completely submersed in this stream (sled still running) that was quite large due to all the melting.

i had a few guys with, so we pulled it out, pulled the plugs and flipped it upside-down and pulled it over about 50 times when we flipped it back over we put in some different plugs and the sled started on the first pull!

a little water did get into the gas but nothing a little isopropyl didn't fix i rode the sled about 100 miles the next day without a lick of trouble luckly it was dunked in a clean stream and not a mucky swamp so there wasn't and sand and grit to worry about going somewhere it shouldn't
i put over 3000 more miles on that sled before i got rid of it with about 6000 miles on it i dont think i could have done too much to the thing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thank you guys for helping me out here, i forgot to put some oil in the cylinders and gonna do that now, this friday when i get time ill put it all back togather and hopefully i dont have any problems =).

Again i really appreciate your responses, i hope i can help you out someday =).

Zagg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ever watch watercross races? Notice those guys go down all the time? Notice the same sleds is running the next heat? Wanna know what to do? Drain the water and fire it up.

Pull plugs. Pull and drain carbs. Pull pipes. If sled has oil injection, drain oil tank. Drain gas tank. Pull sled over to side and rope engine until the water is out. Install carbs and fresh plugs. Put some fresh oil in, if you have injection. Hook up a small gas tank or put your stock on and make up a little premix. Start sled.

Unless the water was REALLY nasty, I wouldn't worry about junk in the crank case. The worst thing to do is let it sit wet. Stuff is gonna rust. If you're really worried about how dirty the water is, you can always get the hose out and try flushing the crankcase.

Definitely want to make sure your airbox is free of dirt, and clean clutches. Take it up to the car wash and give it a good hose down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've watch watercrosser to and they pull carb and drain them pull the pipe and plugs turn it on it side and start pulling it over.The air filter sould of keep the nasty @#[email protected]%6 out.
I'd get it some place warm until you get dried out so the water don't freeze to the metal parts and you think it's all cleaned out and the ice starts to melt. Good Luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
As an FYI, you don't have to throw away the gas, if there was any significant amount in the tank. Water is heavier than gas and will sink. If you let it sit in a bucket for an hour or two, all the water will settle to the bottom, and you can pour off the gas into another container. Poor slowly, and you'll see where the gas ends and the water begins. Stop before you get to the water.
You'll usually see a little junk in there, too.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Do you have any pics of your sled?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no im sorry guys i didnt have it on me, but im kinda glad too cause if i did have it on me i dont think it would have made it and i got a pretty decent camera  

best i can do is say imaging a little mucky pond near a river in the woods at midnight, with a hole in the middle and a little windshield sticking out about an inch  

Zagg

·
Registered
24 Posts
dont pour too much oil in cylinders, for fear of glazing them,  or wash it out with gas if too much oil is used.  I have had this same problem.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Unless you know for sure that a lot of muck got into the engine, just make sure the fluids are clean and that you have all the water out of the engine and exhaust, and fire it ASAP!!!! We doo it all the time. Never have had a problem afterwards.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sunk the wifes sled.Thought I had checked every location water would have gone.Wrong,water got into the oil tank lined running to the pump.Froze and you can imagine what happened next.If you put on your polarized glasses you can see a yamaha swimming with the fishes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
man i feel for you but after i read what you said i saw that picture and i just about died laughing hahaha!!

man that must have sucked, but awesome picture  

Zagg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts