Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told my Zenith Trail Smart Insurance , Yes the one thru OFSC won't be renewing insurance on my 2000 MachZ.

What a pant load this is!! Not one claim whatsoever and I insure my Truck, my wife's 2001 Formula Dlx, My wife's mini van and my 2001 Honda 500 Rubicon with them!

I just called the OFSC and they brushed me off with the old "Yeah, your sled was blacklisted.... were working on it crap"

This is BS and I told them so!

I don't think the OFSC should even be advertising this POS Insurance Co. if they can't insure all sleds that ride the trails in Ontario.

I sent them this letter :

Hello,

I have been insured with Trail Smart Ins. for 3 yrs. now . 0 accidents and as of today they will no longer Insure my 2000 MachZ Snowmobile due to it being BLACKLISTED!

I urge you to Drop , Remove, Whatever the so called Trail Smart Program from your affilation and begin to look into other possibilties that will allow me and my fellow permit holders who own these Blacklisted Sleds a chance of reasonable insurance.

I put 244kms on my 2000 MachZ last year, and a total of 1873 since new and all of a sudden it becomes blacklisted?

As a loyal permit holder for the past 10yrs. I ask you what it is that a group as large as the OFSC can find that will insure all sleds that use the trails in Ontario? If you can't at the least affilate with an insurance company that will insure all selds I compel you to disassociate yourself with Zenith Trail Smart and Lombard Insurance Company!

I would appreciate a non-standard ( what I mean about that is not the usual , Yeah... we know were looking into it) responce.

A group as large as the OFSC Membership has to have clout with an Insurace Co. somewhere.

I'll be waiting for your timely responce.

Am I right or wrong in sending this letter?

IF YOU AGREE, I URGE YOU TO TAKE JUST A FEW SECONDS AND SEND THEM A LETTER AS I DID ABOVE SO WE CAN PERHAPS FIND A COMPANY WHERE WE ALL CAN GET SOME RESONABLE INSURACE COVERAGE FROM.

I'm pissed..............!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Well done.

Maybe they need to get a little imput from us riders. Im sure they have already heard a lot over the phone but talking to them is like talking to a blade of grass.

And that was just about the fact of getting insurance not the cost of it.

I would like to know why in some other provinces and states people pay per year what we pay per month.

I used to think getting good insurance costs was about keeping a good driving record and staying claim free. Thats false.

They only care about the size of engine and cost of sled.... You could be a guy that smashed into every moving object last year and still pay what I pay per year.

And what makes it worse is that theres nothing we can do, except try to argu.

Well please post there responce judging by that Me and im sure a few other ontario natives can give them a ear full as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You were right in sending that letter. The trouble with mandatory insurance is that it amounts to nothing less than legalized extorshion. I, like you have carried mandatory insurance for me, Hmmm 30 years, with a grand total of $900 in claims on my Autos. I've never set down and tried to total what I've paid over the 30 years, but,,,,, Hmmm... I think it was a little more than I've recieved in claims. ;) Perhaps it's time for Canadain, and American people to start writing, and E-Mailing their respective Govornments demanding relief from this insanity.

Blacklists? You've GOT to be kidding! :angry:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Exactly troll, What the hell is a blacklist.

And why is the MachZ under it.

I think that if you do the research the MachZ probably has one of the lowest claim, crash rate of any sleds. Just becasue it has 800 slapped on the side of it.

I would like to find out what qualifies a sled to be under this list or did they just pull it out of there ###.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm kinda kooling down now but still fuming....

Anyways, Trial smart Ins. told me that Artic Cats new 900 Twin can be insured thru them but not the ZRT or T-Cat.....

To me this is one hell of a pant load.......... I don't understand why they even bother to insure any sleds at all then?

I hope everyone who rides the trails in Ontario will email the OFSC and get the fire going over there because next year it may be more added to the blacklist ???

We pay $140 for a permit, more than 150,00 permits sold per year so how hard can it be to strike a deal with an insurance co. that will insure all sleds?

Thanks for the replys gentleman.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to add that when I called RBC for a Quote on all the above she told me that it would be worse if I had a Formula III (she called it I - I -I )
Looks like anyone riding a formula 3 is in for a Sub Charge..... lol, They don't even make this sled anymore......WTF??

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
This is the most retarded thing I ever heard. There is absolutly no method to there maddness.

Maybe the owner of the insurance company owns a F7 and want to be king by getting ride of the Machs.

Dont cool down yet. This is BS.

Heres a conversation with the insurance companies.

Im sorry sir but your 1999 FI-I-I is going up in insurance. "what" Yeah but i wouldnt complain it might be on the blacklist next year.

Hey. Maybe it wouldnt hurt to Email Bombardier about this. Tell them you got a 2000 Mach and nobody will insure you (With a clean record). That its on there blacklist. That would be intresting.

·
Registered
624 Posts
WTF indeed! What WE need on the North American Continent is an "Individually Based" system for insurance premiums. Let's GET our $$$ worth from THEM for a change!

We,, in Michigan SHARE the burden of Auto theft, and collision from our Biggest City Detroit. BULL! Let THEM pay for the "Privilage" of living in the "Murder City" by higher rates. Judge the REST of us by what we've paid, and claimed against.

After 30 years of safe driving,, Except for that darn Deer that ran infront of my first wife, I would have NEVER have had a claim!

I figure it would be fair for me to pay about $3 for any new vehicle I have per year by now. God knows I've probably paid enough for some tycoon to build a mansion with the premiums I've paid over the last 30 years.

And "Now for the rest of the story": In mid September, my insurance agent, the owner of her Agency, embezzled the coffers, and split! Now, my 46 year old wife, and I,,, both CLEAN driving records, have to pay for HIGH RISK insurance under Michigan law! We've paid over $850 since October, and have a bill for next week for nearly $200. This is for a 1996 Ford F-150, and a 1998 4 door Taurus sedan. :cussing:

No matter it wasn't our fault our Auto insurance lapsed,,, just those fat headed elected officials making laws without making provisions for people getting screwed.

Sorry so long,,, just had to vent. :cussing:

·
Registered
386 Posts
In searching for a new underwriter for my sled this year, I saw several of these black lists from insurance companies at one broker. Some companies are not insuring anything above 600cc. Some will not insure any sled that starts with MXZ, XC, ZR, Mach, etc. They will however insure sleds that start with Classic, Legend, ZL.... You get the picture. They have in many cases the same motors and chassis. Just goes to show you how ignorant they actually are. A few years back I got quotes on 2 trucks, a Mazda and a Ford Ranger. The ranger quote was almost double. THey didn't realize they were the same truck, made in the same factory. Unbeleivable. :cussing:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Your absoulty right.

Insurance needs to be regulated. If you live in the country somewhere and you paying high premiums becasue of a high risk of car theft in a city thats BS.

Just like the situation here. BS....

·
Registered
624 Posts
And another thing! :cussing: Here in the State, our home owners insurance jumped about 20% due to 9-11! :cussing: Talk about taking advantage!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree guys, I am really riled over this whole situation... Its not really the cost as much as it is the principle. I believe that the insurance companys should have to prove on public record there justification for the total BS and why it is that they are not willing to renew an existing policy.

I would really like to have statistics for last year so that I can justify what it is that the ins. co are trying to do....

This is Collusion and Extortion at it's finest, I do believe that this is just the tip of the iceberg and the insurance companys are begining to see how well it has been doing for the oil companies.... :angry:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey come on every body , this is a free country to enterprize profit. This is the biggest push over province in canada . Earnie Eves and his p.c. as-- is the fault of this . What I want to know is why we were not told about this long time ago , its as if the needed a raise before christmas.The trail smart insurance company [where I'm insured] told me the same thing also. So I guess there will be a lot of racing touring machines around in the future. Pure f------ stupidity. :angry:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Originally posted by Machzzzz1@Nov 26 2002, 05:01 PM
Exactly troll, What the hell is a blacklist.

And why is the MachZ under it.
Blacklist? A machine they will not insure.

Why is it blacklisted? First off, it's a machine built as a lake racer. It's made to go fast. They (correctly, IMHO) equate going fast with danger. They could also base it on the number of claims coming from MachZ owners as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"First off, it's a machine built as a lake racer. It's made to go fast. "

I do agree Ontrider, BUT...... what is a ZR900 or a MXZ800? A machine to only go fast till the first corner then magically apply the emergency tree avoidance brakes?
How many injuries happen on the open lake compaired to the Blair Morgan wanna-bee's on the twisty trails?
Last I seen there was no trees planted on my lake ;)

You can group it as you will but were all in the same boat. If you own anything over a 600cc engine you are also going to be in for a big suprise next, mark my words.

This has nothing to do with sled insurance loss and everything to do with bad investiments that the insurance co.'s hava made and lost on the economy since the stock dived from 911.

I for one can't take this dry, NoWay........ I am contacting the Insurance Ombudsman tomorrow and demanding a cost anaylsis of payout from my Insurance Company.

If anyone else would like to know, the Insurance Ombudsman for Lombard is :

Felicia M. Salomon : 2800-263-6401

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update-

NO REPLY YET FROM THE OFSC!

They have a whole office full of people working there and NO REPLY YET??

Whats up with that?

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I guess the &$!# hit the fan with sleds this year. I have been dealing with crap ever since they black listed large displacement spot bikes. This is the same thing we are dealing with here. $1550.00 a year (its a 4 month season) for a 900 ninja if you can find a company to insure you. I am claim free for nearly 20 years. As luck would have it I have a 02 mxz 800 and I looks like I will be taking up the tail pipe again.

A little food for thought.
I believe insurance policies have a clause written within which makes then void if damage is caused by act of war. Terrorism is an act of war according to the U.S. government. So how do all the big insurance companies figure 911 should impact the cost of insuring my toys? Perplexing to say the least.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts