Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I promised some of you to keep you updated on OFSC information as I get it , so here it goes.
#1: One of the major concerns was the OFSC financial statement, as I  originally posted it is released at the AGM and all delegates can get a copy of it . Any one that would like to see it should contact their club and request that the AGM delegates get a copy to them. I think I have last years here somewhere but as of yet haven't looked hard enough to find it, but I will make sure I get the one for this year in Sept.
#2: As for the OfSC comunicating more with the trail pass buyers, I was told that the OFSC web site provides most of the information , other material is directed to District organizations and local clubs . You need to contact them for specific information. There is a lot of things the OFSC does that is keep top secrect untill it is a done deal and then slowly the information that is required by clubs and districts gets handed down to them . Anyone that has dealt with the OFSC knows that getting things on a timely basis from them is impossible. For example our year end operations reports are due into the District Govenor and Operations director by mid May , we haven't even recieved them yet . They want everything on time to them  but is slow getting to us . One of the topics that will be brought up at Stakeholders and the AGM
#3: We were asked if we had any major concerens in our district as to where inprovments could be made with the TTS money. As well we were asked if there was problems in other areas that we have rode in . I brought up the topic of lack of grooming on the A and D trails north of North Bay , specifically in the Temagami area this past winter. The OFSC has already heard of the problem and has bought a groomer to groom the trails in this area next winter and hired operators to run it . That old Massey groomer you see sitting at Martin River isn't the groomer that does the A trail in that area it belongs to West Nippising Club. The district has taken over running the trails in this area for now.
#4:  The big topic for the night was the TSS program ( that is what they call the program that is set up to deal with the goverment funding we now get from the Provincial Goveremnt under the Bill 101 agreement ) One of the main goals is to fix problem areas in the Ontario trail system. i.e. lack of bridges or dangerous water crossings ect. The money will come in seven periods , one 1 year period ( ended March 31 2002 the first 3 million  ) and six 6 month periods . In each period certain amounts have to be spent and spent according to very detailed goverment guidelines. Local clubs will not just get a check for x amount of dollars . Most money will be sent to the districts and then spent on local projects as needed as decided on by the districts. All assets funded with TSS money will remain ownership of the OFSC. i.e. groomers , computers , signs ect. A lot of the money goes to different programs and local clubs may not see much of it or some areas might not get any money from the TSS program if it is needed to be spent elswhere. Or they might get a huge portion of it to build a bridge or something like that. One things they don't want to do is start a welfare system that clubs rely on to survive and fall into hard times when the program ends. This is still a changing program and more changes are expected in the near future.
#5: This where I need input from you guys : Near the end of this month is what they call a Stake Holders meeting . It lays the ground work for what is to be discused at the AGM and to start solving problems in our trail systems. What is the concerns  of the trail riders on this board ? What don't you like ? What would you like changed ? Any great ideas you have ?  I would be glad to bring up any topic at Stake Holders that may possibly help solve problems in our trails . Well I'm getting tired of typing .

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Indy: Thanks for the info
I have seen on other message forums people complaining about the difficulties getting info about trails etc from the Barrie office.

My main gripe is destination signing. Last year in Sudbury & this year in Timmins you could describe the signing in 2 words: "It sucked" If you are a touring sledder the main TOP trails should be well marked and main destinations marked.

When we were passing thru the STP system from Chelmsford to Coniston we saw only a couple of TOP D signs. Also, the only destination signsseemed to be for the next small town, (Blezard Valley, Val Caron etc) Nothing about North Bay, which if you are on TOP D, you might be heading for. We came to the intersection of TOP D & STP #55 (West of ValCaron) The intersection was a "T". You could turn left of right & there was bush straight ahead. The TOP D sign on the post had the arrow pointing straight ahead. (?)

I sent an email with my concerns about the poor signing to the STP & OFSC. From the STP I got a very political response from a female member of the executive (Unsure of the name right now) & no response from the OFSC.
The areas & associations advertise to get out of town sledders to the area, but when we get there, we have a hard time navigating their trails.

I've noticed along TOP A, the 3 trips I've taken up to Hearst from various starting points, the clubs put up signs for places a couple of hundred kilometres down the trail.

My suggestion to the OFSC that audits take place when the executive are out riding on a TOP trail,that if you come to a intersection & there is no signing, it should be noted. I don't mind if the tarils aren't groomed to pool table smoothness (Isn't this why we buy sleds with 12" of travel?) but I sure like to know where I'm going

Indy, if you want you can print this off and take it with you. I'll send you a PM with my personal info, so you can add it to the message.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Consistant signage is one of the things they hope to fix with the TSS program. There are starting with stop and stop a head . Believe it or not there are some ares that don't even use proper stop signs or stop ahead. Destination signs are the next big thing, nothing worse than being lost andd run out of gas in the middle of now where. Having a standard for signage is in the works but there is no officiall rules defining how it has to be done as of yet or getting all the volunteers trained to do it the same way. Worst part is the trails are signed by people that know the area and never look at it from a strangers point of view. Yes there is a lot of improvements to be made in this area.  I have been to Timmins and got lost just like you did. Sad part is I know the town but still could not find my way out where i wanted to be.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i think with the signage up timmins area is the locals know where they are going so to them it doesn't matter, but it does to people like us. not really their fault just an accident that is waiting to happen before they learn the consequences.

it is good to know there are concerned snow riding citizens like Indysks doing the job for us.  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Friends of mine used to live in Timmins, so when we were looking at the map, I had an idea where to go, but having never snowmobiled up there it was only of marginal help. 2 years ago I was riding with some guys from Capreol. They generally rode north to Timmins or east to Temagami. Even they had problems finding the way to Chelmsford.

I guess what I should have said in my earlier post was that the smaller clubs seem to have better signing up there.

When I was on the executive I noticed the destination signing on our club's trails wasn't that great. So that winter, I logged the distances between intersections. Over the summer I calculated the distances between different places & paintede signs. It was a good start. However, the wooden signs don't last forever. They've been replaced by those nice Bancroft__km signs. It would be nice to know how far you have to go. But I guess they do help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts