Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IndySKS, did you hear at the AGM if the OFSC is keeping the publishing group that puts out the current OSM as the official magazine?

You guys that are from Ontario what are your thoughts on this? Do you think Terry Kehoe saw the writing on the wall & bailed?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I thought that his son was the new chief in that department
The fact that our less than stellar government
has more to do with the ofsc has me worried.Time will tell i
guess.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The Ontario snowmobiler mag is a joke! What really burns me is that $10.00 from every trail permit sold goes to support this mag! I,m sure that the 10 bucks could be put to better use!
Thats my 2 cent's.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I agree with you on that mr670.I'de rather have my $10 go right to my club cause they are the ones that need it.We'll
have to wait and get indysks's post on this matter.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I disagree, I enjoy the OSM magazine.  For $10.00, the maps alone are worth it.

I don't think you will see things change.

FishHog

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think OSM is a good magazine, especially if you like touring or sledding in different areas around the province. It is not a great technical mag or for reviews but it has it's place. I just worry now that they are no longer affiliated with supertrax that the quality will go down.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I like OSM for the maps too Fishhog, and I hate to tell you guys that Terry Kehoe is no longer with Super Traxx mag either

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My opinion is that alot of their product testing is "fluff" but the map atlas more than makes up for it. Besides, w/o the mag, what would we read when we're not on Snowmobile World?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You guy's would actually try to go on a snowmobile tour, to a unknow area with the osfc map atlas as you only guide. I would be afraid to get lost in a fold or stuck on a staple. I find them almost unreadable and very out dated, they show trails that have been closed for over 2 years.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, try to tell the OFSC that

I know of trails east of Apsley that haven't been run on in 15 years.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i kind of like something else to read on the water powered throne at 6:00 am, so i like getting the magazine.

i have to say that kehoe is good but some of the actual test reports are,,, well,,, could be better, some of the lingo is crap.
when they write things like squeezing the kevlar or squishing the flipper that sounds crap.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paul, you're getting old & cranky  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I take it that you won't be buying that new sled magazine that they were talking about. Lots of freestyle stuff supposedly. I forget the name.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I agree with paul on it being decent bathroom reading material,
a few have even found there way to the outhouse
Just not enough info and content in there for my bathroom reading
needs

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding but things have been real busy here lately

Yes Ontario Snowmobiler magizine will comtinue to be affiliated with the OFSC. Terry may be gone as Editor but his son is taking over the duties. Ontario Snowmobiler and Super Tracks are no longer affiliated ( so I was told ) Super tracks will not be hosting the show in Toronto this fall either. It is now Sponsered by Ontario Snowmobiler . As LadyK said Terry is no longer with Supertracks as well , when he spoke at the AGM last week he said he was moving on to other interests.

mr670 : Actually it is only $5.00 from each permit that goes to the magazine ( sounds a bit extreme to me) . On the back of your permit ( everyone has read that ...right ??) # 7 states :
I understand that my OFSC benifits include a subscription to a snowmobile magazine for the 2003/2004 season. I further understand that I may request a refund of the $5.00 subsciption fee or may have the fee aplied to the OFSC Trail Fund or OFSC Enviroment Fund or the OFSC Administration Fund by contacting the OFSC office above.
As for the quality of the material printed , it is kind of informative but I wouldn't run out and by a sled because someone wrote an article in a magazine and said it was a what I should buy.

As for the maps , yes they are out dated wiith a lot of missing trails and trails that no longer exist . It is the resposibility of the local Clubs or Associations to send them updated maps on a yearly basis. I sent ours in this past summer and will be watching to see if the changes are made.
I am asuming that the clubs are not doing this or the magazine is not making the changes.
There is good news in the works though, currently the OFSC is requesting maps of all trails in the Province to compile a up to date data base that will be used to map trails on their new web site. Yes the OFSC site will some day soon have a complete and acurate map of all trails in this Province on their web site . They are also making an attempt to map all trails with a gps . I was told 11 Districts have got theirs done or have a good start on it. This gps mapping will also be used to create the OFSC web site map . All for a cool $280,000.00 of TSS money ( my opinion is it could have been better spent elsewhere ) Oh by the way the $280,000.00 is just for the web site we as club members are to ride and gps all trails for free !!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Thanks for the info IndySKS.

Its nice to hear an informed opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks FishHog, I try to answer what I can , it seems to help keep everyone informed and a wee bit happier. :D

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Indy good work! Now if you could get things settled down on that other site :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts