Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just put a clutch kit in the sled (primary weights and springs only so far) and fired it back up. It has been a month or 2 since it was last started and I wanted to run some Stabil throught it.

Noticed right away that it was idling high and tried a couple things but it was still idling at 4k so I hut her down. I have a couple ideas but it is summer and people need to discuss so lets hear it, Any ideas?

2005 renegade 800 HO

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
It would be helpful to eliminate the "couple of things" that you have tried already.

What did it idle at previous to this and how long has it been since that time? How long did you let it run? Have you done any other mods? (jetting, reeds, boots, head) Have you cleaned the carbs?

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be helpful to eliminate the "couple of things" that you have tried already.

What did it idle at previous to this and how long has it been since that time? How long did you let it run? Have you done any other mods? (jetting, reeds, boots, head) Have you cleaned the carbs?[/b]
While not sure on the previous idle I believe it would have to have been around 2k or a red flag would have gone off when inspecting. Dave informed me that his idled at 1700 all year last season.

No mods yet to the engine/intake.

Did not clean the carbs. Was putting Stabil in to summerize after not being fired up for a month and a half. Let it run for 2 or 3 minutes and when the idle did not come down killed the engine.

Basically all I did was shut the side so that the airflow would be through the side and not open. Played with the throttle cable to make sure that it was not stretched from experimenting with riser height. Visual inspection of the boots.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I would double check the throttle cable just to be sure. Make sure that the idle stop screw is actually making contact. Are the bars still laying on there loose? (BTW, you should have risers today) Is the choke lever in the off/relaxed position? If it wasn't high a month ago, and you've made no other changes, I'd have to guess that it's the cable or something in the carbs.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the throttle cable, you are correct once again. Thanks

BTW, the riser looks sweet :cool:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Matt,

Don't take chances with a short throttle cable when using risers. Get the extension block and be safe. I saw a sled with riser and stock length thottle cable have a minor roll over which tweaked the handle bars. When the sled landed upright it took off and destroyed itself into a tree. Another argument for the tether.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Matt,

Don't take chances with a short throttle cable when using risers. Get the extension block and be safe. I saw a sled with riser and stock length thottle cable have a minor roll over which tweaked the handle bars. When the sled landed upright it took off and destroyed itself into a tree. Another argument for the tether.[/b]

I agree!!! If it looks to be an issue at all, get the throttle cable extension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts