Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 srx overheated, took out thermostat and it was bad(pin out & cocked off to side), stuck thermo from my '98 SRX, worked for 100miles then when bad, this time pin in thermostat is gone(uhhh oh).
 figured i would try a new one just to be sure that it was not a freak thing.  3 miles and thermo went bad(pin out & cocked off to side.
 SO,  engine is overheating & toasting the thermostats.  Now, I have a couple ideas.
1) impeller in water pump slipping,stripped?
2) pumpshaft broke( no noises though)
3) line plugged somewhere  ?
4) gear on crank shaft slipping?
What do you think? Anyone that has similar problems, please tell me #1.  I am going to check out play of impeller & pump shaft later today.  otherwise it's off to dealer for service and larger Labor bill.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
So you have a pin floating around in your cooling system?

That could cause a blockage now, even though it was overheating before. I would check the impeller and blow out the cooling system to make sure there is no blockage. Or you can run the sled without the thermostat and see if it still overheats. But get that pin out of there before it causes problems. Its really weird that it is going through thermostats like that. Hope some of this helps. Same checklist that I went through with my 670.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked impeller, no slipage.  Must be on the crank when engine gets hot. Blew line out and didn't find pin.  Guess i'll have to go through each coolant section seperately.  
off to dealers mon. afternoon.  
I also cleaned power valves and found that center one was not working. part the holds onto the cable was broke, now i need the part that slides in and out(all one piece).

·
Registered
72 Posts
The thermostat is going bad from the over heating, the 99's had a bad run of cranks (differrent then the 98 crank problems!?
). The brass ring on your crank is slipping when it gets hot. The down time sucks, but the upside is that yamaha should put in a new crank with out eny hassels  

Be sure & tell your dealer about that pin, hopefully they'll find it in a cylinder when its diasembled?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealer can't look at it until Wednesday.  so i went through the cooling system section by section and all was free off air. checked pump & impeller all ok.
 checked heads,  right side piston has big hollowed out area from center toward exhaust port.  cylinder walls are ok and other 2 piston are fine.
 if the brass ring on crank os the cause,  what steps should i take for warranty?  the sled is '99 and warranty was over in Dec.  But if it was the crank problem was the cause,  it should still be covered. Right?  thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you've got a good dealer that will go to bat for you when calling yamaha they will probably cover the cost of parts at least! But maybe the full boat? tell your dealer to look in the "2000" technical update book section 3, page 5, for refferance (if they don't allready know about the problem).
If all els fails & they screw ya all together (pretty unlikley), have the crank pulled out have that ring "GREEN LOCKTIGHTED" OR PINNED bye a machine shop known to do good 2 stroke crank work, and that will save a boundle over buying a new crank. good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just came from dealer.  The brass gear on the crank was slipping when engine got hot , thus creating all the problems.  The mechanic told me that if everything was replaced that should be that to cost was about $2,400.  after he turned as blue as my srx, I released my grip from his neck and his color did come back.

He then said that he called Yamaha and they were covering 1600 of it !
And of the remaining $700.
*$460 was for 2 pistons with rings and 3 power valves  of which I really don't need but should replace anyway.
*$160 was for 1/2 of the labor (Yamaha is going to cover the other half)
*$80 in a few other minor things (1 power valve cable,gaskets)
the Warranty ran out in December.
  SO,  AGAIN Yamaha seems like it is coming through for me.  They previously helped me out big time with my V-Max 4 back in '92-'93 season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts