Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on how one would do this

I gather they are both 31mm taper

I know cat went to a 33mm taper in 02 on some bigger models but mine is a 01 600

What I really would like to know is which clutch bolt would one use?

Also would my clutch spring Cat Y/W fit in a P85

I am already running 56g Poo weights

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also should my clutch set up weigths and spring run the same as it did with my 9tower vs the P85?

Just curious

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Setup will be very close, it may depend on the shimming of the spider of one clutch when compared to the other.

As far as the bolt goes, just compare the length of the two. I believe the P-85 bolt will screw into the cat crank.

I had a friend do this on a 2000 600ZR

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I have one on my 550 Cougar.. A local sled shop set me up with all the right weights. On mine I am using the stock cat spring with commets A-1 cams.. I have put about 400 miles on it so far. The only complaint I have is the brand name on it.. :huh:

Here is the other draw back, when you go to pull the clutch off, you will need to make the hole through the side of the engine comparment larger. The puller I got, will not fit through the hole.

For the install, I couldn't use the stock cat bolt. The parts shop where I got my cams sold me the correct bolt and washer too. I had to trim 1/4 of an inch off.

Hope this helps...
Paul

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about sheave angles

and Belt???

Would they be the same as before?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The angles are the same (actually Polaris uses a dual angle sieve so that they can have belt alignment way off at the factory and not burn up belts)

But the angle is the same, the center to center will stay the same. All that may need to be adressed is shimming the spider for proper clearance.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am in the market

my spider on my original clutch binded up twice on saturday

So thank for the info guys

also is I gather newer as in 01 vs 96 P85 is better even it has the same miles?

I am also looking at a 96 ZRT600 9post(same as mine) for my ZR

·
Registered
304 Posts
not sure why you would want to do this??? the clutches from arctic cat and polaris are pretty much the same. they bothe work exactly the same and the springs and weights are interchangable.!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got a brand new 9 post 8.5 on Ebay for $125

not bad eh considering the same part # up here is $600+

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure why you would want to do this??? the clutches from arctic cat and polaris are pretty much the same. they bothe work exactly the same and the springs and weights are interchangable.![/b]

6 post look the same

9 post are slightly diferent but you are right about weights

I used 56g Poo weights

anyway the reason i asked about the P85 on my Cat was It is much easier to find used P85s and they tend to last longer then the Cat clutches

+ like the post above says ,I got a brand new 9post 8.5 now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts