Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over my buddy's house this afternoon. He has a can on his REV. When I got there, he already started painting it with regular Rust-Oleum (sp?) aluminum-colored spray paint. Since he was already into it, we finished it off. It actually looks pretty good.

Now for the question- since it is only rated at 200 degrees, what will happen to it. He doesn't expect it to last that long, but as long as it doesn't ignite or make a real mess he'll keep it.

If he had to repaint it, I read that bbq paint will be best. Should we try to remove that paint we have on it now, or can we just repaint it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Not good , it will smoke and stink till it burns off. I would remove it as much as you can then re-paint it with hi-temp paint 800-1200 f. I use hi-temp auto engine/ manifold paint on mine.

mutt

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I use this PJ1 Fast Black High Temp Paint it is High temp 1500 degree F flat black for exhausts and it works good. u can get it from www.denniskirk.com it cost $9.99 for a 11 oz. spray can. the other pait will burn off and smell bad[/b]
you can buy 1200 degree paint almost anywhere but the 1500 is way better. even the 1200 can buble and flake off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I buy "flame proof" paint at the local "Canadian Tire". It's rated at 1500 deg. Put about 6 coats of flat black on the can. Then..... just buy a regular high temp paint of any color you like and paint overtop. Any exhaust manifold paint will stay pretty good over 6 coats of flame proof 1500 degree paint. Regardless, I still have to repaint mine at the beginning of every season, as the closer it is to the engine, the hotter the pipe..... the more it burns off. I personally just feel it's cheaper to spend $20 on paint every year to keep it from rusting, then it is to spend $300 or $400 on a new exhaust.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
bbq paint

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You can actually get soething like that ceramic coated fairly reasonably ($40 or so), just go to an industrial powder-coater, not a hot rod shop or something, they overcharge bigtime for it. Just make sure it is the high temp stuff.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just talked to him and he said he's working on removing it with nail polish remover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts