Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pipe on my new Cat is kinda rusty and scabby looking, anyone tried to paint this, Ive talked to a couple guys that used header paint but said it still burnt off and stank.
Ideas, suggestions. Thanks ,Todd

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most will tell you if you have the $ to ceramic coat them. Otherwise, there are plenty of high temp paints that people use. Check with you local auto parts store. Some work better than others, and you get what you pay for. Good Luck.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Anyone ever try stove black for wood stoves, it works.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I use Hot Coat brand paint. It comes in a couple of colors. For prep I just took a wire wheel to it. It usually last 1 or 2 seasons.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have used Duplicolor high temp paint on my sleds and dirt bike and it has worked great. They sell it at Wal-Mart and AutoZone. $3 a can

A

·
0 Posts
My process is cheap and lasts me a couple years. You must have a barbeque or stove big enough. Sandblast the pipe to bare metal, stick the pipe in the bbq or stove to get warmed up but not hot hot. pull it out and use stove black. With the warmed pipe the paint should dry right away, then stick in back in to get really hot but not hot enough to bubble the paint off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a friend that owns a powdercoating place I had a set of pipes done for three of my atv's back in 95 they still look like new their the sam color as a gas grill . He garinties his work for life on pipes and other parts aganist rust I belive he charges around $40-50 U.S. a pipe or 50 bucks a hour for other parts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I've always had good luck with stove black,like someone else said make sure the pipe is clean and rust free then heat it up a little.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm with Skidooki...Duplicolor high temp paint from autozone works the best.... BUT...... it comes in 2 temp ranges 500 degrees and 1200 degrees..make sure you get the 1200 degree stuff. Then as others have said make sure the surfaces are very clean of rust, -- wire wheel on the grinder works best...... The trick is not to get it (the paint) super thick, when it's thick it bubbles up and flakes off. After its dry, before you go riding for the first time, fire up the sled on idle , and warm the pipe pretty warm but not scorching hot, let it cool and then repeat..... this tempers the paint some. If you just get on it and go blasting it to red hot, it will likely blister your new paint and it will peel. I also use a little steel wool on the new paint after after it's dry and temper'd which gives the flat paint a kinda satin finish. Been doing this procedure for quite a few years!!! DooZ :D :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
Every Cat Person knows that our pipes rust. I spent some extra time and money last year (not a lot of money), and put several coats of High Heat Paint on my pipes. I have Twin Pipes and went through 3 cans of High Heat Paint. My pipes did not rust this past year! Try several coats of High Heat Paint on them, with letting them dry good inbetween each application, worked for me!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by 98xc700@Oct 10 2002, 01:19 AM
I've had good luck with barbeque paint from napa. :thumbsup:
I used the same stuff. Haven't run the sled with those painted pipes on though. I painted the stock pipes after I put on a set of aftermarket ones, so can't realy attest for that paint as to how well it holds up. Although it looked good when done! :)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I don't know where I heard this, but I think it may have been on this site a couple years ago.

Take normal Automatic Transmission Fluid. Wipe a layer on your cold pipe (after cleaning off any loose rust), then run the sled. It seems to build up a layer of protectant, that doesn't rust. Looks good and clean, and held up last season for me.

Smokes a little at first, but nothing major.

FishHog

·
Registered
299 Posts
All of them... start with the Tranny fluid to get a good protective base, then put on a primer coat of barbeque paint.. let that dry, and put on a few layers of base coat with high temp engine paint. Put the pipes back on, run the sled to get it all hotted up and cure your base coat. Then start with the stove black. First put your pipes inside your barbeque that you just painted with your leftover Barbeque paint. Warm it up then apply the stove black. While applying stove black, put hot dogs on BBQ. Reheat pipe for 30 min @ 350, basting with butter. Eat hot dogs with hands covered in stove black. Take pipes out of BBQ and send them off to be powder coated. When they are done there send them off to be ceramic coated.

When you are done, you will have a set of pipes with a external finish second to none, and bulletproof to boot. :D :devil: :D

Although that might be a little excessive

·
Registered
0 Posts
Last season I used a high temp paint from NAPA auto parts store that actually
has some ceramic in it. I had the pipes bead blasted and then painted them. BUT
for a full cure you must bake them. Don't do what I did and run the sled to heat
the pipes thinking that would back them on. Big mistake! Dummy me. Live and
learn I guess. I also think that if you have the $ you should look into ceramic
coating the pipe. Looks better and last a lot longer. Also, if you have a nice
coating of black paint on them and you want to keep them nice try wiping on some
WD40 after you put the sled away from a weekend of riding. That will put a nice
protective layer on them to prevent rust from forming. :D (Thanks for the
helpful hint Tim).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts