Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2001 pantera 580.was juist wondering if there were any known problems.this is for my wife and i bought it at a good price. any info would be help ful. thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
44xcr800,

My Dad has a 2001 Pantera 580 he purchased new. Only problems we have had are:

1. Right rear suspension bolt (fasten rear suspension to tunnel) either vibrated out or was never installed at the factory. Noticed it was missing at 300 miles.

2. The electric fuel guage stopped working at around 1000 miles. Fixed under warranty. Dealer said wires were stretched too tight around the gas tank area where a connection had snapped off.

Other than that it's been a great sled.

David

·
Registered
46 Posts
44xcr800
I have a 2000 580 Pantera and I to had a rear suspension bolt come out and several other bolts on the suspension were also lose this happened when the sled was new, other than that I have had no problems.
Paul :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys.i'll make sure to keep an eye on those bolts for the first few rides .hope i like it cause i've been a polaris owner for years.again thanks for the info

·
Registered
19 Posts
For what it is worth. Several guys up here who have Pantera 580's have had major motor problems. They blew up. They all seem to self distruct at or near 3000 miles. Friend did some research and found this to be a frequent problem. Seems the problem is with the piston rings. They turn and catch the exhaust port. Only person that did not have problems rebuilt his motor before 3000 miles.

Otherwise should be a great machine. good ride and plenty of power.

Regards
Marshal
'98 Pantera 800 triple

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Have a Pantera 550.... The bolt that primarily backs out is the rear upper carrier bolt. The suspension on these machines is very nice. My buddys father has the 580 and i never noticed a considerable difference between the two.... When riding two up you will get a lot of ski lift especially when getting on the throttle and if the overload springs are not up... Make sure the suspension is adjusted properly otherwise the skis will very light and hard to control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts