Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96' Polaris XLT . I took the sled off the trailer today and I think the parking brake is on because when I try to move the sled it doesn't want to go .
I never used the parking brake on it before , my friend was the last one to ride it and he's not around .
Can someone tell me how to release the parking brake please ?
Thanks .

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
By grabing the brake lever ...just like braking , it should release it.

The little lever on the brake block is suppose to be spring loaded to release it.

Did you smell belt burn when trying to move it?

Sometimes the track clips get stuck to the slides when it sits over time too. Putting it away wet and no clean -up will make things stick too down the road..bearings rusted up??. You should be able to roll everything by hand (fairly easy)from the secondary when up of the ground.

Also if I remember right poo had a brake recall on some models in that era too.

mutt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the parking brake is on , when I squeze the brake the brake light comes on and goes off when I let it go . I'm going to raise the back end up and try turning the secondary like you said . The sled has been sitting for awhile .
When I took it off the trailer and tried to move it quite a bit of smoke was coming out when I reved it . Something may be rust or stuck , I'll let you know .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I raised the back end of the sled off the ground and started the sled , when I give it gas the track did spin but it dosn't start spining until the rpms are very high .
I let the rear end back down and tried to drive it and just revs real high and alot of smoke comes from under the hood .
What should I do from hear ? The cluth must be allright if the track spun with the rear end up right ?
I'm fairly new to snowmobilng and don't know a whole lot about them yet , kinda learning as I go .
Any help would be appriciated . Thanks .

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
How high are the r's before it starts to move the track?
Normal range is 3-4500 for engagement. If it's higher then that I would say your clutch needs a good cleaning .

Over time belt dust builds up on the moving parts and gum things up. On a clutch there is no lube due to it attracts dirt . All it takes is some moisture and belt dust build up and it will stick.

You even could have something broke inside ....springs and wts.
There's a bushing on the shaf tfor the 2 halfs to ride on , that could be binding...wore or gunked up.

Try flushing it with some hot soapy water, blow it out with air and then see if it frees up any...make sure it's dry or it will slip on the belt .
With the belt off the seconary and track should roll fairly easy if the bearings are good....your just rolling the track wt.

You will get alot of smoke in the warmer weather due to the jetting for cold temps, alot of it is extra fuel mix in the pipe burning off cause it's so rich. You normally don't get it all out till you run it at full temp and open it up to burn it all out. Also oil will puddle in the case over time from sitting due to the oil film running off the other stuff inside, piston walls ,crank.....

It really sounds like a dirty clutch and the clutch on these sleds are the most important component in the drive line. Alot of hp's are won and lost here.

You have no location listed, If we knew ...someone here might be able to help you learn the ropes of these snow rockets . Tending to the basics will give you many happy miles and save you a ton on service calls at the dealers. You know how it is ...walk in the door and it's automatic 100- 200 bucks for something as simple you could do yourself:lookaround:.

Check that clutch :wink:

mutt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the infor , you've been very helpfull .
I'll check out the clutch and let you know what happens .
I'm from Ripon , WI , I'll have to put that on my profile .
Thanks again .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the sled to move . There's some rust on the cluth so I sprayed it with rust removal lubricant and taped on it with a hammer a few times and now it move .
How can I prevent this from happening again and are there other things that I should lubricate to prevent problems like this ?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I got the sled to move . There's some rust on the cluth so I sprayed it with rust removal lubricant and taped on it with a hammer a few times and now it move .
How can I prevent this from happening again and are there other things that I should lubricate to prevent problems like this ?
Hitting it with a hammer is a big NO NO . They are made of cast alum and hitting it could very easy crack it or knock it out of round...go very lightly and use a dead blow hammer or wood block , no metal to metal banging . If there's a hairline crack in it it very well could explode on you when it gets heated up and turnning high r's with a load on it.

Now that you do have it freed up , it needs to come off and cleaned.

Any lube is a no no also. These clutches work better dry. There is a dry lube you can use (comet clutch lube). Its a spray grafite lube but it's not needed...basiclly gone after the 1st ride.

To get the clutch off you will need a specific puller that goes in where the bolt is and it pops it off the crank.
There is other ways too but the puller is the proper way.
You can get the tool from your dealer for 20 bucks.

98% of snowmobilers that clean their own clutches DO NOT LUBE them. Lube attracts belt dust and dirt ...inturn it gums up the moving parts and then your wash job was a waste.

Hot soapy water and a SOS soap pad is what I use, some even use their dishwasher too.

After it's all washed and dry...everything moves freely you want to scuff the sheeves with a scotch-brite pad for good belt grip ...I make sure it's scuffed good with the SOS during the wash.
Make sure there's no nicks and burr's on the faces or you will eat belts.

Also wash your belt in hot soapy water and rinse good . Oils and solvents get absorbed in the belt and sheeve faces and will cause slipping if there enough there.

My normal routine is a full dismantle and wash in the fall . then after a few rides , a shot of air in the primary to blow any loose dust out. Then mid season...depending on miles and performance i'll pull it and give it a good wash like in the fall.
You will know when it's time to clean them from the amount of belt dust floating around in there.

The same principles go for the secondary too ...wash it hot soapy water...no lube.

Only place you want to lube is some anti-seize in the shafts of the crank and jackshaft on the secondary....just a little bit !
This will keep them from freezing up on the shafts for the next time you need to pull them.

do a search on clutch cleaning , there should be something still left here on it .

mutt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 96' Polaris XLT . I took the sled off the trailer today and I think the parking brake is on because when I try to move the sled it doesn't want to go .
I never used the parking brake on it before , my friend was the last one to ride it and he's not around .
Can someone tell me how to release the parking brake please ?
Thanks .
Did you leave the sled idling for a while since its a triple cylider it could have just loaded up happens sometimes to my grandfather 96 680 utra

1 - 10 of 10 Posts