Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 99 zl 600 i picked it up with a blown motor for 1000$ now i am thinking of selling it, it has 700 miles on the new motor and 9800miles on the sled, now it needs a new stator so im just wondering what u think of #1 i fix the stator and sell the sled as one whole sled #2 dont fix it sell as is #3 fix it and part it out #4 dont fix it and part it out ??

My whole problem is i got the sled for: 1000$
new motor : 1800$ professionaly done
new drive shaft:400$
if i get new stator:600-700 im thinking
new brake: 175$
carb boots:100$

If i sell it whole i will never get what i put in it,, but i made a list of what i think is fair for parts and i calculated that i will get much more if i part it out..

What do u think of me parting it out or should i just take the loss

Has any one parted a sled out and regret it or did it go good

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you have the time, parting will pay you more and do so without investing anything other than your time. That would seem like the win-win way to go, again, if you have the time to do it that way. Just watching eBay stuff go makes me realize there is potential. If the engine is still largely useful in terms of parts, it should bring most or all of the $1000 right there. Then there are all the other things which will be gravy.

·
10,054 Posts
your gonna get hung with some of the parts if you part it out,,, lot of times the tunnel simply wont sell, so you hang on to it for 6 months then throw it up on ebay again,,, I still have the tunnel, steering shaft, handlebars, airbox, and a couple other parts from my 97 zrt that I never got sold. In time, it will all sell. But I do know that with what I have sold off that sled, I made more money on the parts than I would have had I tried to sell the sled outright,,,

part it out.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
your gonna get hung with some of the parts if you part it out,,, lot of times the tunnel simply wont sell, so you hang on to it for 6 months then throw it up on ebay again,,, I still have the tunnel, steering shaft, handlebars, airbox, and a couple other parts from my 97 zrt that I never got sold. In time, it will all sell. But I do know that with what I have sold off that sled, I made more money on the parts than I would have had I tried to sell the sled outright,,,

part it out.[/b]
Puree put that stuff on ebay for a 90 day listing with a buy it now price only. sooner or later someone will see it that needs it, but your now price should be a little lower then what you really think it is worth.

I am going to part out a perfectly good sled in the fall because I know I will at least $500 more then if I sold it whole. Plus I gain a lot of knowledge about the sled as a bonus.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you decide you want to part it out let me know how much you want for the suspension. These sleds had the ETT right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you decide you want to part it out let me know how much you want for the suspension. These sleds had the ETT right?[/b]
I think i will part it out thanks, Well does ETT stand for (extra travel tunel) because i have a (Fast track Long-travel system) then it says extra travel tunel ??is that what u are looking for allso are u just looking for the back suspension or front and back??

Thanks for the help every one!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
i parted out a 97 ext with no engine last fall.paid $275 usd for it in may of 06.paid for the sled and had $300 plus by parting it out.
by the way if you need a chaincase with complete jackshaft and brake assembly-or any front suspension parts-i'm that guy.send me a p.m. and maybee even a tylenol p.m. too :crazy:

·
10,054 Posts
yes, his sled will have the ett suspension,,, if you need the tunnel, I got you covered there,,,

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
9800miles and you complained and think cat is unreliable???

BTW what shape is your primary clutch?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
9800miles and you complained and think cat is unreliable???

BTW what shape is your primary clutch?[/b]

well when i rebuilt my motor the guy looked at it and said it was in good shape and that was 700 miles ago.. well u are from chelmsford maybe u know Dan Parre from azilda its him how looked at it!

anyways if u need it i will have my sled back in about 1 week im guessing because its at the cat dealer for the dyno.test to see if it is the stator.

·
Registered
980 Posts
hey i have a 99 zl 600 i picked it up with a blown motor for 1000$ now i am thinking of selling it, it has 700 miles on the new motor and 9800miles on the sled, now it needs a new stator so im just wondering what u think of #1 i fix the stator and sell the sled as one whole sled #2 dont fix it sell as is #3 fix it and part it out #4 dont fix it and part it out ??

My whole problem is i got the sled for: 1000$
new motor : 1800$ professionaly done
new drive shaft:400$
if i get new stator:600-700 im thinking
new brake: 175$
carb boots:100$

If i sell it whole i will never get what i put in it,, but i made a list of what i think is fair for parts and i calculated that i will get much more if i part it out..

What do u think of me parting it out or should i just take the loss

Has any one parted a sled out and regret it or did it go good

Thanks for your help!![/b]
A reman, exchange stator should be $2 - 300 and come with a warranty. The worst parts of parting out a sled would be the work and the waiting. If you sell whole then it is all gone at once and out of your hair. If you part out then you may get stuck with boxes and boxes of parts and all the time to strip it down. You also have to deal with all the tire kickers who want to know if it will fit their sled and expect you to tell them that, and then hold it for them while think about it over the summer, or whatever. Catalogue all the parts with part numbers, that you can find on the online microfische, so tire kickers can determine if that is the correct part for their application. it may be a lot of work, and time, for a few hundred dollars. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts