Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a bit of info. I have a 1995 Formula SS 670.  I have the opportunity to buy a '92 formula plus 583.  The question i hav is can i use the crankcase that has reverse from the 92 in the 95?  Also can i use the electric starter or any parts from it in my 95 as well?  What other parts may be compatible?  The '92 has a 583 in it and is fully loaded.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The crankcase does not have reverse in it that is the chain case.  The starter motor might work. The engine in the Plus is a 580 with no raves the 583 has raves and was in the Pluse X in the early 90's and in the mach 89,90  The bolt hole lilky will line up but there is stuff on the inside of the cover and that won;t work to good inthe 95 Formula ss look for a newer chain case with the hydrolic brake on it and switch that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
unless your getting that 92 for next to nothing, don't bother.   some of the parts probably would line up, but remember those parts are 10 years old, and probably have quite a few klm on them

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
As an example I sold my 90 Mach 1 after the winter of 94, I had put over 14,000 km on it. I realiaze you're a new member, but in the past month we had quite a discussion on the "accuracy" of odometers.

Also is the inner half of the 670 clutch drilled & tapped for the ring gear? If not & the clutch tapers are the same, you will have to swap the tuning components from the 670 clutch into the 580 clutch.

Also are the mounting holes drilled in tapped in the crankcase for the starter motor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am getting it for a song, the motor has recently been rebuilt, new rings, bored etc.. guy is a friend of mine he says it is now a 650.  New cdi, .. 300.00 CAD is a pretty good price i think.. all it needs is some ski's and a new hood.  Worse case i could fix it up and sell it huh?  A summer project!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
To the experts out there, a 580 bored out to 650, is that feasable? For that much work done to the motor + parts, $300 sounds a little fishy. Ask him who did the motor work/machining & ask them what they did to the motor.

I know of a guy at work that had bought a used Indy 600 that had been "worked on" by the local "experts",  what a piece of junk!! When it's running which isn't often, stock 600s will beat it & the gas mileage is attrocious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts