Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all mountain sleds designed for 1 person, or can you ride 2-up? I'm asking because I'm a backcountry snowboarder, and as much fun as snowshoeing is, it'd be a lot better to ride up in style on a snowmobile :wink:

I checked out the 4 major manufacturers' websites and they all seem to have 2 person touring models, but not mountain sleds.... can you go up steep/deep powder on a touring sled? Or can 2 people (and snowboards) fit on a mountain sled? Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are all mountain sleds designed for 1 person, or can you ride 2-up? I'm asking because I'm a backcountry snowboarder, and as much fun as snowshoeing is, it'd be a lot better to ride up in style on a snowmobile :wink:

I checked out the 4 major manufacturers' websites and they all seem to have 2 person touring models, but not mountain sleds.... can you go up steep/deep powder on a touring sled? Or can 2 people (and snowboards) fit on a mountain sled? Thanks.[/b]
I use my 97 powder extreme with a 1 person seat for skiing. I have also used an 06 king cat with one person seat.
have thee driver stand up ans the person going to drop sit side saddle and determine which way the driver will turn at the top so they can have the legs to the outside. get a running start then have the driver high mark. at the top of the run just have the rider hop off to the outside of the turn and ski down while the driver continues on his way. it works really well. that technique will usually get you most of the way up on super steep stuff so the hike is easy or just side saddle and ride to the top if the sled can make it. I have used both methods and both work very well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ya doubling on mouintain sleds is easy. the only potiental problem is boards and skis falling of the sled but aslong as you invest in a good ski / board rack you wont have a problem. I suggest a Chetah factory Racing rack my friends and I use them and they work great. the go for $200-$ 300

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for all the info. Do you know if it's feasible to put a 2-person seat (aftermarket or from an old sled) onto a mountain sled instead of the 1-person seat it comes with? Also, should I be looking into a sled with extra long tracks to compensate for the added weight of a passenger? Thanks again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cool, thanks for all the info. Do you know if it's feasible to put a 2-person seat (aftermarket or from an old sled) onto a mountain sled instead of the 1-person seat it comes with? Also, should I be looking into a sled with extra long tracks to compensate for the added weight of a passenger? Thanks again.[/b]
as long as the seat does not extend to cove where the heat exchanger is you could probably put just about anything on there but DO NOT cover the heat exchanger. as far as tracks go I double up on my 136 track with 1.6in lugs and it does just fine even in 2.5 feet of powder. Ive doubled on a 162 King Cat is the same conditions and did not really notice that one was better than the other. but if you are buying a new sled why not go longer? If it was me regardless of doubling up I would get the longest track I could Afford but a 136 or 144 will be just fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cool, thanks for all the info. Do you know if it's feasible to put a 2-person seat (aftermarket or from an old sled) onto a mountain sled instead of the 1-person seat it comes with? Also, should I be looking into a sled with extra long tracks to compensate for the added weight of a passenger? Thanks again.[/b]

I wouldn't wast your money on the 2 up seat. you'll take it off after day one and it'll be sitting in your garage ever since. and you don't need to have a longer track lenth for doubling, but you would want to stifin up your rear suspension, witch is realy easy, you can adjust that though out the day. ride on !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts