Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey got a 91 phazer, lost like 15 to 20 mph. on top end noticed my belt sits low on the secondary. also it doesnt seem to shift. the belt isnt too old, is the belt suppose to be above the sheave?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Depends on the model. On my Vmax it is normal to go up to 2mm below the edge of the sheave (so says the official shop manual), but on most sleds you want to be equal to or running outside the edge of the secondary. Make sure you are actually using the correct belt. That's a problem I see over and over.

There is a setting for belt deflection that you need to learn about. Not sure on your model, it may require disassembly of the secondary and removal of shims to get the secondary to close more. But on a new, proper belt, it should never be shimmed too wide unless somebody messed with it who didn't know what they were doing (very possible). Give me some more specific information about the performance problems, after you're sure you have the right belt on there, and I'll try to give more specific advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it runs good snaps out of the hole and gets to about 70-75 then doesnt shift like your stuck in a gear. where b4 the problem , it wasnt that quick out of the whole, but it would definatly start shiffting around that speed and i could hit 85 to 90. i have the original belt and tried it same thing. the top of the belt is at least 4mm down.

thanks for the info, im gonna do that and try a new spring. the first time i took the secondary apart (a couple years ago)i didnt know what i was doing. so could be something i did.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
it runs good snaps out of the hole and gets to about 70-75 then doesnt shift like your stuck in a gear. where b4 the problem , it wasnt that quick out of the whole, but it would definatly start shiffting around that speed and i could hit 85 to 90. i have the original belt and tried it same thing. the top of the belt is at least 4mm down.

thanks for the info, im gonna do that and try a new spring. the first time i took the secondary apart (a couple years ago)i didnt know what i was doing. so could be something i did.[/b]
Yeah it sounds like it is actually shifting too much. Do you have a tach, and if so what does it say? Basically my guess is your secondary spring is too loose so it shifts out too much at higher speeds, thus not giving you enough power to accelerate to your previous top speed. And since it is too loose it can't close the secondary fully when you stop, and that explains why the belt is riding too low. Is the belt hanging loose on the primary or is it tight? If it's tight but down 4mm in the secondary it's got to be the wrong belt. If it's loose in the primary then your secondary spring is too loose or shimmed open too much.

Chances are if you took it apart yourself without knowing what you are doing, you didn't turn it properly when you put it back together and there is essentially no preload. You have to twist the secondary pretty hard as you put it back together in order to get the sliders onto the helix with some preload. If you just pushed it straight back together there's your problem. I can't fully explain it here but it's the standard procedure. The trick is there is a right direction and a wrong direction to twist, and sometimes I still mess that up. You want to twist it to make the spring tighter, and if you look at the spring you can tell which direction that is.

If we're on the wrong track, report back and we'll figure this out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an exciter not phazer but i had the same problem when i first got the sled, among others. My primary and secondary were screwed up from the sled sitting a long time. Taking both apart and re-assembling helped a lot, along with replacing the secondary spring which was cracked. I wouldnt replace your spring unless it is broke like mine was or it is out of spec. Call a yammie dealer they will tell you the deflection spec to know if it is still good. Beaxch is right about all he posted. My belt rides a touch under the secondary sheeve and it is fine. He is right about having the proper belt too. I have found that stock yamaha belts work best for me compared to others that should work on my sled. Maybe it is the width or something I don't know. I would try a new Yammie belt first, they arent that expensive. Then get back to Beaxch it sounds like he could help you a lot...

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Ah yes I remember now! haha. You have to twist the secondary REALLY hard. Make sure the spring is right direction![/b]
I've done both no preload and reversed preload several times myself :whistling: so yeah, double check. hehehe good times. That older Yamaha secondary is hard to work on, basically it's the same as Polaris. 96 and newer are much easier to figure out and actually do the work, they are designed more like a Cat secondary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i followed what my service manuel says, i beleive its counter clockwise, 60 degrees twist. but my manuel also has been wrong b4 lol i spent 2 years chasing my tail on a running rich problem because of the little black plugs on the carbs were in the spot the manuel says lol. so i finally figured that 1 out last year and got to ride it at least ,thanks to stones sled in newark. great guys there.

kinda hard keeping an eye on the tach with these old phazers, i believe7500 , the belt is loose on the primary, ill try looking at the spring this time when removing shim/assembling. if the manuel is wrong again im gonna tie a rope to it and drag it behind my sled...

keep ya posted thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
an update, i took the secondary apart, removed shims between the sheave. the spring was going the wrong way like u said beaxch. so i reinstalled it going clockwise. why my f'in manuel says to go counter clockwise i still dont know. gonna give it a rip in few. belts sitting 1mm above the sheave now, THANKS!
will let u know how it went still cant hit the trails tho they open in a week.

·
Registered
70 Posts
so i finally figured that 1 out last year and got to ride it at least ,thanks to stones sled in newark. great guys there.[/b]
weird, I live in sodus, about 5 miles from Stones! They really are great guys there, but I have to take the exhaust seal back, its way too small for my sled (but right part number?) I think that is something to do with the GYT exhaust...

Hope you get that phazer up and running, We have snow and I'm hoping my brother can help my moms bf get my sled home tomorrow while im at work, At least theres enough snow to get it rolling around the back field to make sure shes gonna work good for the winter!

Take care,

Ryan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im in webster so its a little hike, but it was worth it. i was gonna buy some smaller jets, but they pointed me in the right direction. i thought that was cool of them to do that so now i buy all my yami parts from them.

so another update, the sheave definatly has to go counterclockwise, i ran my sled on a stand and as soo as i gassed it the sheave spread out and stayed there. so , this time i spun the everliving crap out of it , i went like 180 degrees lol instead of the 60 or 75 dgree twist the book wants. and i flipped the spring around not that it makes a differance. seemed to shift on the stand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts