Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dealer today to see how thing were progressing on my sabercat. Apparently, there was quite a discussion among the staff on what to do for picks in my 1.375 " track. They made a call to AC and were told "We do not reccomend picks for the 1.375" track due to very close clearance with tunnel and heat exchanger"I ride in areas with hard pack and ice........I think I really need them!!!! One mechanic says get 'um, another says I don"t need 'um because of the deep lug track. I originally wanted to go with 144. They both said if I do get them, I need to constantly check the track tension. If the track gets too loose.......CRUNCH!!!!!!! Anyone heard the same story????? I decided to go for 96 to try and keep stretching to a minimum. Anyone have some advice??!! :nervous:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If your going to be on alot of ice your definetly going to need studs. You get worse traction then with a short lug track would on ice. What my local dealer had been doing with 1.375 was putting in studds that are recommended for the 1.25 track and then the lugs give enough on ice that the studs catch. Not sure if this really works but maybe someone else on here has heard this before.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is Woody's recommendation.

ARCTIC CAT 2003
RAIL INTERMEDIATE PERFORMANCE
Runner Ref. MODEL 2003 TRACK LENGTH LUG HEIGHT TUNNEL PROTECTION STUD SIZE STUD QTY. RUNNER STUD SIZE STUD QTY. RUNNER STUD SIZE STUD QTY. RUNNER
Firecat 7 13.5 X 128" 1.000 Standard 1.075 144** W 1.075 144** W 1.075 144** W

Firecat 7 13.5 X 128" 1.375 Standard 1.450 96** T / W 1.450 144** T / W 1.450 144** W

or look here if this show's up like crap.

I'd call Woody's if your still in doubt but I think they do their homework...

http://www.wiem.com/appguide2.htm

·
Registered
442 Posts
I ride in areas with hard pack and ice........

if i were you i would invest in a 1inch lug track for your sno-pro and stud it if all you do is ride ice and hardpack trials the 1.375 will be worthless anyways not only that but you will rip your hyfax a part because they will not be lubricated and cooled enough with the low snow icy conditions

·
Registered
74 Posts
For what it's worth. I had a 1.25 inch Sno-cross Preditor racing track on my ZR600 SE 2000 "Blair Morgan" sled with 144 studs. I know it's not the Firecat, but I didn't have any problems with those studs.

They made a BIG difference. The Sno-Cross track, like a Preditor does work better in hooking up in many snow conditions, but it doesn't offer the hooking up capabilities you'd get with 144 studs. It also obviously doesn't have nearly the stopping power on icy trails.

My friend has the same 1.25 track on his SnoPro and when he had 96 studs in it he bent something like 6 or 7 of them one time out when we went to Cederville area to ride. There was a lot of stumps and branch obstructions on the trails that day, so 96 just wasn't enough for him and his "Braaap, Braaap" trail riding. He added 144 and doesn't have a bending problem.

The Preditor racing track commonly used in Sno-Cross, has more windows. I have run in low snow (a couple inches at the beginning of the season) with it without any hyfax problems. The Preditor Sno-Cross racing track is awesome. I put 5500 miles on my track before replacing the hyfax. I probably could have put another 2,000 miles before totally wearing out the hyfax, but I decided to change it because I figured "why take chances". My friend has had two Sno-Pros and he weighs more than I do, but he's never had to change hyfax in under 3,000 miles with a Sno-Cross track.

If you look at the track on the sled I think you'll find that the track Cat put on is a Camoplast track which is good news for you. I think they have an agreement with Camoplast. It might be a challenger track instead of a preditor track, but they are also very good tracks.

Of course if you grass drag, then look to burn through the hyfax. (I don't grass drag.)

A loose track can do damage. It's a good idea to keep an eye on track tension anyway. Of course after a couple hundred miles, check the tension, especially after putting studs in.

(I'm going to be getting my F7 in the next week, I'm very excited about it.)

I plan on getting some Fast Trac studs and backers this time around, just to try out the light plastic backers. (Of course I got the 1 " track this time, wanted to see how that would be. I might end up putting a 1.25 track on it in the future if I'm not happy with the off trail performance of the 1" lug, we like to do some powder riding at times.)

Stay tuned for pictures of my sled when it arrives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts